Cute Coffee Guy

As the clock hit midnight, Emma excused herself to take a moment outside for some fresh air. After the day she had with what appeared to be musical aliens, she needed a break. All of the sudden she was thrown into this nightmare, and her head was still spinning.

Her professor happened to live on top a hill, so the night sky views were incredible. As Emma walked out and took a deep breath in, she looked up at the twinkling stars and then down to the soft glow of the lights of Hatchetfield. But it wasn't the same, with the blue mist crowding around the buildings. From this height, she could point out where Beanie's was, and began to miss her workplace until she remembered what happened with Nora and Zoey. At least she had Paul there for her, who she had clung onto since that afternoon.

They made a connection. In a strange situation like this, Emma knew she would be dependant on Paul. Thank god he was kind, and protective. His friends were weird, that was true, but they were also nice. She was just thankful Hidgen's had taken them in so carefully and made sure they felt at home for the night.

Emma walked over the fence surrounding the backyard, and gripped her hands around the cold metal. Taking another deep breath, she closed her eyes and listened. It was a quiet night, but there was still a soft hum of music coming from below. She attempted to tune it out, and the air became silent and she felt the cool breeze rush past her skin.

Soon, she felt a warmth on the left side of her. Emma opened her eyes and tilted her head to see Paul next to her, gazing down at the town of Hatchetfield. The moonlight hit his face softly and his expression was a small frown with his brow furrowed.

"Interesting day." Emma said quietly, turning her gaze back up towards the dark sky.

"Yeah." The man replied, looking around. "Are you alright?"

"With this?" Emma laughed lightly. "Not what I had expected for my Wednesday night, but I had no plans."

Paul cracked a smile and Emma blushed slightly. God, he was cute at night. Or maybe just in general.

Paul's face was turned ahead, but Emma stared at him. She didn't mean to, but there was no way she could turn her head after she locked eyes on him. He'd been so protective of her all day, and in that moment Emma realised what a true hero Paul was. He risked his life to save Emma and his other friend's lives.

Emma unwrapped her hands off the metal gate and grabbed his gently. Her eyes moved back towards the moon as she felt Paul look down at their now entangled hands. She curled her fingers around his gently and gave it a soft squeeze.

"You know Paul," Emma started. "I gotta tell you something."

"Yeah?"

"I know why you came into Beanie's all those times." She stated and immediately felt him jump back, pulling his hand out of hers quickly.

"O-oh?"

"Yeah." She said quietly, wrapping her arms around herself. "And it wasn't because you liked our shit coffee. Our coffee was shit. Because we didn't care, and sometimes we would spit it in, and you might've drank my spit but anyways, Paul. I'm glad I know why you came in." Emma knew she was rambling now and she felt flustered, but there was no stopping now. "I'm really glad because otherwise I wouldn't have met you, and that would really fucking suck."

Paul turned towards her with a look of pure shock on his face, but his soft smile said otherwise, but it quickly vanished. "Who told you?"

"Charlotte." Emma said honestly, but shook her head quickly. "Don't get mad at her, please. I think she talks more than she thinks she does when she's had a few drinks." She turned her head away, avoiding eye contact with Paul. "Besides, if she hadn't told me, then I wouldn't know the cute coffee guy I always stared at liked me back."

Although she wasn't looking at him, Emma could basically hear Paul gaping. "I- well- uh- wait- so... the feeling is, um mutual."

"Mhm."

Paul reached out for her arm and pulled her to face him. "Good." His voice was soft and his breath felt warm on Emma's face as he was that close. He lift a hand up to her cheek and stared at her intently. "So would it be okay if I kissed you?"

Emma took in a sharp breath and felt her face heat up. She raised her hands to cup his face and smiled lightly. "Yeah. It would."

Paul pulled her in gently, and soon their lips crashed together in a soft kiss. He wrapped her arms around her waist and pulled her close as Emma draped her arms around his neck, deepening the kiss lovingly.

They pulled away breathlessly, and smiled at each other under the starlight. "I'm glad I finally got to do that." Paul whispered, pulling her in as he held his arms around her.

Emma lay her head on his chest and took a deep breath. Never in her life had she felt more safe, despite the events that were currently taking place in the town of Hatchetfield. "We're gonna make it through this, right?" She asked softly.

Paul tilted her head up gently with his hand and stared down at her. Even in the light just coming from the stars and the moon, she was still the most beautiful girl he'd truly ever seen. "Yeah. Because who actually likes musicals, right?" And they grinned at each other, before pulling one another in for another gentle kiss.

a/n hello why do i always write them kissing LMAO i think because we will never get a paulkins kiss i just wanna write abt it idk hahah do y'all mind??