Chapter One: Hewitt's Victory

Alexandra Cabot let out a very long, exasperated sigh.

Sleep was long overdue. Judge Petrovsky ruled the evidence against the Hewitt case circumstantial and dismissed the case without prejudice. She was open to re-file if new evidence came to light.

But it wouldn't.

Norman Hewitt was one smart bastard.

She tapped her long fingernails on the smooth wood of her desk. The noise always soothes her for some reason. She found herself spacing out before long. She has a tendency of this.

That's why the sound of the door opening scared the shit out of her.

The familiar face of Olivia Benson made an appearance at her doorway.

"Christ Liv", she said quickly. "Trying to scare me on purpose?"

"Oh you know I wouldn't", the tough, stoic brunette spoke. She had a dry laugh.

"How you holdin' up?" Alex asked.

"I'm holding", Olivia said, the side of her lip curling up in a small, sad smile.

"Yeah", Alex said airily. She pushed her glasses up her face. "What do you need?"

"Well, uh, my friend Mark with the LAPD caught a break in our case and-" Alex cut her off.

"What's LAPD doing with a New York case?" she asked, questioningly.

"Our rapist's M.O. sent off alarm bells in another case across the country. A friend of mine put in a couple calls to Cragen and they were wondering if I was up for a little road trip", Olivia gave a light laugh.

"That's great to hear! Get me some evidence that'll stick and I can re-file the charges. He'll be arraigned as soon as I can get him in", Alex said, happy that the sick creep wouldn't walk.

"Listen Alex, uh, I know you have family on the West Coast and I know you don't get to see them often, if at all, so I wanted to know if you would come with me." Olivia's words were rushed. She tucked a cropped lock of her brown hair behind her ear. She shifted her feet, cleared her throat and worked up the courage to look the blonde in the eyes.

Alex stuttered. "I would love to but I don't know if McCoy-" Olivia interrupted, like she was waiting for her friend to say this.

"I already talked to him. He said that if it was okay with you it was okay with him."

Alex stood then, and crossed the room to stand a few feet from her friend. "Then I guess I'll just have to take you up on your offer", the blonde said, smiling. She adjusted her dark frames and shifted her weight.

"Better get packin', Cabot", said the smaller detective, turning on her heels to exit the office.

Alex didn't realize she had been holding her breath until she exhaled at last.

..............................

Olivia held her see-through black panties up to the light.

'Too excessive?' she thought.

'Never', she told herself.

Suddenly, her intercom system buzzed. She hopped over piles of rejected clothing and swung her hips skillfully past the many small, useless tables that she convinced herself she needed at some point. She cleared her throat.