Chapter Nine: Booty Call

The alarm clock beeped this even, monotone, dreadful noise.

            Olivia opened her eyes, still thick with sleep.

            She was still embodied in Alex’s arms. The sounds of Alex’s sleeping breaths filled her ears. But she knew, as reluctant as she was to change positions, she would have to get up.

            But not yet, not quite yet.

            She tilted her head closer to Alex’s steadily rising chest. Her hot breath heated her cold skin. She inhaled Alex’s familiar scent. Olivia’s hand was on her arm. She moved it slowly, deliberately, up Alex’s arm.

            The incessant beeping of the alarm clock became too much to handle.

            She reached over Alex and switched off the top button. She sat up in bed, and tried to remember what exactly happened last night. She remembered a nightmare, one of many she had since her encounter with Lowell Harris in the basement of Sealview.

            That name had a sour taste on her tongue.

            Alex stirred and eventually awoke next to her. She looked at Olivia with sympathy, but quickly changed to kindness. “Hey, I like your hair.”

            Olivia shot up and ran to the mirror. Pieces of dark hair were tousled around her prominent jaw line. But it was tangled, a little too messy. “Fuck you, Alex.”

            Alex brought her hand up to her own chest. “Shot me right through the heart.”

            Olivia slowly turned around. She put her arms down to her sides.

            “SHOT THROUGH THE HEART!” She began this hair flip that rockers do.

            “And you’re to blame”, Alex said in a much quieter tone, coming to a standing position.

            “Weak”, Olivia shot back. “Oh, what I mean is; DARLING YOU GIVE LOVE…”

            “A BAD NAME!” they sang loudly, together.

            “Well, God”, Alex said. “If I wasn’t awake before, I certainly am now.”

            “I’m glad”, Olivia said. “Hopefully now, you’ve got just enough energy to make me breakfast.” She strode out of the room. Alex followed.

            Olivia began off-key humming to Bon Jovi. Suddenly, she paused with a sudden realization.

            “Alex, did you sing last night?” She turned around.

            Alex looked at Olivia’s big, brown eyes and nodded silently. “Yeah, I did.”

            Olivia’s eyes trailed down to Alex’s thin, pink lips, and back up to her deep blue eyes. “You’re pretty good, Cabot. You should sing more often.” And with that, she spun on her heels and traveled back to the kitchen.

            Alex let out a quiet sigh.

………

            Olivia was glad she knocked down another day trying to catch this Hewitt bastard. She’d spent the day with the LAPD detectives, sifting through mountains of paperwork, trying to figure out the connections between the New York and the California victims. They hit roadblocks all day.