Chapter Four: Date Night

Olivia rapped on the bathroom door. “Speed your ass up, counselor. I’m getting antsy.”

            “Is that supposed to shock me?” A curt reply came from the other side of the door. “I’ll be out in a minute. I’m just finishing my hair.”

            Olivia smiled to herself. It was odd to hear the younger woman talk like this; usually she maintained a neat façade, not giving a single thought to herself. This entertained Olivia.

            Olivia leaned back and rested herself on the wall opposite the door. She looked down, smoothing her tight-fitting red dress. The dress stopped just a couple inches above her knees, and she’d paired it with matching heels. “You know, I-“

            The door opening and the sight of her friend cut her off. “God.”

            Alex was wearing a black dress; wrapped around her thin, tall body in such a way that left Olivia speechless. Alex wore shorter heels due to her height, but they didn’t fail to show off her slender calves. She had curled her hair so that it fell in loose waves around her thin face.

            “I, uh, I’m liking the curls”, Olivia managed.

            “Thanks”, Alex said, sheepishly. Olivia knew the woman was modest.

            “Shall we?” said Olivia.

…………..

            “So who’s this friend of yours in LAPD?” Alex asked, her eyes glued to the road.

            “His name is Mark Hanson. He’s been in Los Angeles Sex Crimes for a few years. We went to Siena together”, she replied.

            “You know Hanson?” Alex said, increasing her pitch.

            “Yeah, how in God’s name do you know him?”

            Alex hummed “Mmmbop” under her breath.

            “Go to hell”, Olivia said, not trying terribly hard to hard her teasing grin.

            Alex drove into the parking lot of this decently sized Italian restaurant. “Here we are”, she said, turning the key towards her in the ignition.

            “How did you find this place?” Olivia inquired.

            “My grandma used to have us all eat here when we had family events and stuff”, Alex said, getting out of the silver car.

            “This is awfully nice, Alex.” Olivia grabbed her purse just as Alex opened the door for her friend. “Thanks!”

…………..

            “What are you thinking about getting?” Olivia said, looking at the large menu. “Look, they list at least fifty kinds of pasta on this page alone.”

            “Yeah, I figured this was a step up from the Chinese you usually order every night”, Alex said, scanning through her options.

            “Wine?” A waiter suddenly appeared and the women weren’t completely ungrateful for the alcohol.

            “Sure, thank you”, Alex said as the man poured red wine into both of their glasses.