7

"Hey. Adult. Wake up" Rey rasped and threw a cushion at me. She'd only just woken up too and she had puffy eyes and swollen lips that made her look so much younger than usual.

"Hey!" I complained "what a nice way to say happy birthday"

"Wake up. It's time for your adult life to start" she said

"Yours too"

"What do you mean?"

"Can I go out?"

"Go out where?"

"The deck or something?"

"I mean, if you promise that you're going to behave and not try to run off then I'll let you go for a swim in the pool"

"There's a pool?"

"Yeah," she said and I frowned

"I've never seen it"

"That's because you broke the trust. I won't ever trust you fully again, but I'm willing to give you a chance as long as you accept that this is the only time"

"Of course"

"Okay, put a bathing suit on"

"Which one?"

"Whichever one you want," she said and opened the drawer, so I picked out a black one and went to the bathroom to put it on, then when I came out she was wearing a bikini top and some swimming shorts, and she held onto my handcuffs as she led me through the halls, then onto a large deck with a pool and unlocked the metal cuffs

"Are you-"

"Don't make me regret it" she said and slid the glass door shut behind her. The early afternoon sun beat down on my back, and it was almost blinding when it reflected off each peak of every small wave in the seemingly endless blue ocean. I shook out my wrists and she sat on the steps of the pool and went on her phone, and I stepped into it and let myself float underwear for a few seconds before breaking the surface again and looking up at the sky. She was looking at me anxiously, then when I caught her watching she looked away at her phone.

When I got used to being outside and in direct sunlight, I swam around, then got out of the pool and went to the very back of the boat and leaned over the side "hey, this isn't the titanic!"

"I know, if it was I'd be on the front!" I shouted back to her

"Get back from there please!"

"Come and look after me, I wanna look," I said and she grumbled and walked over to me and held my wrist while I looked over the edge "I like your boat but it's too big so it's stupid"

"That's fair" she nodded and sharply turned around, so I followed her gaze to the doors, where her dad was standing and staring at us. He beckoned her over, and she pulled me along with her "just stand behind me, don't say anything"

"Okay," I said and did as I was told

"Morning Rey, no gym this morning?"

"No, it's her birthday so I thought I'd let her have the day as she wants"

"And does that entail romantic handholding?"

"No, I was holding her arm," she said

"Hm. Anyway, you're doing well with your abs, they've finally started coming through. Don't take more than a day off or they'll go right back to how they started" he told her and then leaned around her to look at me "happy birthday Paris"

She pinched my wrist "thanks"

"Finally a lady," he said "have a nice day"

"Thanks," I said