ONE AFFAIR, MANY LIES. (Chapter 7)

"I am very sorry about what happened today Jules.
You will get to understand it had to be done just that way soon enough.
I'm sorry for being part of everything at the very least. It shouldn't have turned out like that, I just couldn't say No to James"
He said.

I got to the hospital later in the afternoon and headed straight into Chuks office. I was so lucky see him while he was on break but maybe I was not so lucky to hear anything sensible from him that could help my thoughts.

Chuks probably taught I was clueless but he was definitely mistaken. I understood everything.Besides, I overheard the argument between James and Kate. It was still fun to play along in their dirty games though and that was all I did.

"Okay Chuks but, hold on. Did James get to know about my pregnancy before accepting or does he even know anything at all about it?
I need to understand if the pregnancy news was part of the total sham package."
I asked.

"No and Yes.
Yes, you are definitely pregnant.
I will never joke about such an important piece of information especially when I understood your plight.
I understand the conditions of your womb but as I told you, it will get better and it is already.
Yes, you are pregnant and in the next 9 months we should come celebrate at your home again.
And No, I didn't tell him about the pregnancy. That's up to you to decide when and how to tell him.

But Jules. I thought you had done that already, but it appears you haven't."
He said this time with a wave of surprise on his face.

I was carefully observing his smug face as he was trying his best to convince me.
I knew everything he was saying was a lie except that I'm pregnant and that's because I had done other test to confirm it too but i was just waiting for Chuks' final diagnosis, as he is my most trusted ally or he was. It's kinda hard to trust him anymore.

He mentioned the issues with my womb right?
Oh yes, he is right.
I had an abortion while I was in school.
I wasn't damn ready to be a student-mother back then. Unfortunately, I had some complications around the time and it's been difficult trying to give the Johnsons' a child since my marriage.

Only Chuks and I know about it and that's why we became allies in the first place. He did promise me not to tell James by the way and he has been true to his words.

Oh! You want to judge me right? Maybe I deserve some of that too.
But I never said I was a saint though, but I'm not as evil as these guys and to crown it all, I'm pregnant so all my sins can be forgiven and that if I have any sin though. I did regret my carelessness but not my actions and I've been a preacher of safe sex since then.

I ended my session with Dr Chuks and I headed straight to the agency as usual.
While almost at the door, I could see Kate outside on phone, she seems to be in a fight with someone as she kept pacing around and breathing profusely while dishing out threats like the other person on the phone owes her more than he or she can ever pay. I thought of any business associate that could have pissed her off but I could pin point no one.
But it looks more than just a business deal, it feels so personal so I approached her.

"Kate what's wrong? Who are you screaming at on the phone?
What happened?,
I asked.

"This is not over!"
Kate said angrily as she ended the call.

"Good evening ma, it's nothing ma.
Just me and my boyfriend having some argument."
She said.

"So the first thing I got to know about your boyfriend who I'm supposed to celebrate is that he pisses you off ? The guy isn't good for you Kate.
But that's up to you to decide, not me,my friend"

She was quiet with the statement 'you can't understand' written all over her face.

Maybe I can't understand why she will be having an argument with her boyfriend who most likely is my husband over the phone. But who cares?

I'm more than happy today, a barren wife finally gets to be a mother to two kids, one at home already and the other on the way in 9 months' time.

But who is Kate?  And why am I fond of her?