Discussion

We lost Trivistine to Elmarath for half an hour before she rejoined us again. During that time, we rendezvoused with the rest of the crew, held the usual introductions and talked about our day while we shared a meal with each other. Rather than cooking a meal, I used magic to conjure something up for us. We had a variety of steak cuts. Complimenting the meat was an assortment of vegetable options: bamboo shoots, sliced onions, jalapenos, broccoli, mushrooms, pickled radishes, carrots and green onions. We also had rice and an assortment of warm stews to accompany our meal. And of course, we had some strong ale to wash it all down.

"I can always appreciate a pragmatic use of magic," Zed said before slicing into some steak, a fresh mug of ale to his side. "Thanks for the meal, Khain."

"God, I love magic," it was Bekah. She was making skewers, alternating between pieces of meat and vegetables before setting one to the side and working on another one. "There's just so much utility to it. I don't know what I'd do without it."

Chance devoured some rib eye before asking, "Khain, with all of the victories we've shared in the past, why is this the first time you hook us up like this?"

"I only just recently became powerful enough to cast this spell," I drank some ale, munched on some food, drank some ale again. "Also, you have to remember that magic takes a lot out of someone. I figured though, since we're in a pretty secure location it wouldn't hurt to use my magic to spoil us a bit," and I reached for a bowl of rice and Bekah reached for the same bowl at the same time. Our hands touched but it took a moment to register because honestly the food was so good that I could hardly focus on anything else. When I realized what was going on I drew back. I didn't want to invade her personal space. No one else seemed to notice but I mouthed the words 'I'm sorry,' to her so that she did not get the wrong idea. She mouthed 'don't mention it,' and her eyes lingered for a bit before turning away.

"Damn," Chance said after chewing his food and swallowing with some more ale. "Is your higher source of power that fickle about letting you enjoy a good meal every now and then?"

"I doubt the higher power minds me enjoying a good meal," I said. "We've all enjoyed good meals together, before this. But, for me to use magic specifically for the purposes of enjoying a good meal, is a different story."

"I still find it so fascinating that you have a god to talk to," it was Eldaren. "But after all you've done, you're still restricted in certain areas, right? Maybe you can convince your higher power that luxury food is a necessity rather than a privilege. The worse the power can say is no."

"I wouldn't mind eating like this more often," Zed said. "In all my time being enrolled in the university, I never had a meal this good."

"I'll keep your comments in mind," I said. "I wouldn't be opposed to always eating this well."

"Most spellcasters who relied on gods are usually underwhelming in terms of destructive potential though," and Iona was drinking more than she was eating. "I've heard stories that archaic spellcasters don't have the power like modern spellcasters do."

"He's pretty fucking strong," and enter Trivistine once more. She took her place at an empty spot on the table. "Don't let his tranquility deceive you. He's rather deadly in terms of spellcasting ability," and she glared at me, her eyes an unusual mix of contempt and respect.

"So nice of you to join us," Eldaren said. "But if you don't mind me asking, did your date with Elmarath get cut short?"

"It wasn't a date," Trivistine said. "I was just seeing what the big deal was about that guy. He's okay, I guess, but he was so drunk that he could barely walk straight. We were talking for a bit, then he straight up passed out on me. So, I came looking for you guys."