Part 3

RYDER

"Have you seen Rogue?" I asked Leelah, my head maid. 

She was a vampire, like me, so she could clean the house quickly, and the fact that she had a major crush on me meant that she would do anything I told her to. 

"I only saw her this morning and that was when she was running from you," she informed me, batting her eyelashes, "Would you like some help finding her? I don't mind,"

I tried my best not to cringe at the thought of spending time with her, "No thanks, I'll be fine on my own,"

She pouted but before she could say anything I was back in my bedroom, on my bed and bunching up the sheets. They still smelled like her. I looked out the window and saw it was past sunset and my worry grew. What if she left? It wasn't safe out there on her own. I'd had some of my friends staying here and they liked to go out and hunt during the night, and some of them didn't have very good control of themselves yet. What if she got out and one of them killed her? My jaw clenched with the thought and I sprang from my bed and was at the front door two seconds later and then standing on the wrap-around porch. Her scent lingered here along with Cain's, one of my friends, and Brett's, my other friend. 
A pang of betrayal hit my dead heart. She had promised, hadn't she? She'd said that she wouldn't try to leave again, and she didn't strike me as the type of person the break her promises. 

Maybe monsters are her exceptions, a voice inside my head whispered. I inhaled deeply and followed the faint scent of my baby, hoping no one had gotten to her before I could.

ROGUE

I had been running for around an hour. I had slowed to a jog but I refused to walk. I wondered if he had noticed I was gone yet, but then shook Ryder out of my head. The absolute last thing I needed to be thinking about was him, the weird, creepy, mood-swing king, vampire. I hadnt been planning on escaping, I had promised him that I would never try to leave. Obviously, there were a few exceptions, and Declan telling me that Ryder was going to bite me and I would be in immense pain was indeed, an exception. 
The sky was now dark and I was finding it hard to see, but I still didnt dare slow down. It probably wouldnt even take Ryder ten minutes to find me, hell, he was probably tracking me right now. And here we go again, my thoughts landing on that hot piece of ass- I mean... Evil vampire, that's defiantly what I was thinking. Okay fine, but you can't deny that Ryder was extremely hot, like, he could turn the straightest of men gay and the gayest of women straight. 

My boot toe caught on a tree root and I tumbled to the ground, smacking my head against something hard. White spots gathered in my vision, making it hard for me to see. I groaned and pushed myself onto my knees and pressed my hand to my temple, my fingers came away sticky but I couldn't tell if it was blood or mud from the forest floor. I hoped it was mud. I stumbled to my feet and continued on, but this time at a cautious walk, making sure there was nothing for me to trip on. 
I heard a low growl from somewhere in front of me. He found me. I gulped and stood straight, taking a deep breath and waiting for him to kill me, rip my throat out, drink me like a margarita. 

"Well, well, well," an unfamiliar voice crooned, "What do we have here?"

I frowned, trying to pin point where the voice was coming from but it seemed like it was coming from all directions. One thing I did know was that this was not Ryder's cocky voice, this was someone new, I just hoped he wouldn't kill me. Suddenly, he was right in front of me, holding my chin in his hands and turning my face to the side to look at the blood dripping from my temple. 

"Mmm, you smell good," he whispered, his voice husky, "I wonder how you taste,"

"W-who are you?" I asked quietly.