R. A: Declined!

Adnan.

I think keeping this sickness from my parents is the worst thing I've ever done. It's difficult because most times they think I ignore them but I can't let them know, it'll hurt them because I know my mum would blame the accident on herself.

"I thought you weren't coming to see me this weekend, I thought you were avoiding me" she says childishly.

"How can I? You know how work is, it's like it hurts them to see me free. I'm sorry".

She smiles "It's okay. So? What do you want for lunch?"
"Pounded Yam and Efo, what do you say?"
"You're only saying that because it's my favourite soup".

"No. I haven't eaten your soup in a long time and I miss it, I'm tired of eating all those restaurant food".
"I told you to keep coming for dinner".

"Mama, my house is too far, before I get here the food must have frozen".
"You're always looking for an excuse to stay away from home".

She frowns. "Don't worry I won't make you do something you don't want to".
"It's not like I disagree Ma, it's just that I can't drive over here every day".

"Really? Then why did you move so far away from us?"
"Because it's close to my office".

"Okay" she says and walks in.

My phone chimes and I pick it up. It's from my girlfriend Kubura.

Kubura.

K: *picture*
Download it. Just met up with some friends. How sexy do I look today?

A:  I have never seen you this sexy. Wish you were here.

K:  That's why I sent it. I never knew it was my colour.

A:   True. I have never seen you in navy blue. You know I love you more in that colour.

K:  🤨
Adnan what are you talking about? I'm not the one in blue. I'm the one in pink and you know that. You're so shameless, how could you say that to me?

A:  Then why is she wearing the necklace I got you?

K:   Because the colour went perfectly with her outfit. So I gave it to her, is that a crime?

A:   She's not the one I'm dating and she's most certainly not the one I got the necklace for. It has your initials not hers.

K:   You always get angry when I don't wear it, do I look like a dog to you. Look! You don't own me! And you can't tell me what to do!

A:  You're right. Maybe you should just let her keep it, since you don't need it reminding you of your ex.

K:  What is that supposed to mean?

A:   Exactly what I just said.

I keep my phone.
This always happens.

::

"I knew it! I told you!" Sahil says.
"Shut up! How is it funny?"

"She's a clout chaser, you wronged her and dumped her, yet she's texting you nonstop to forgive her. Maybe it's better that you two broke up".

"Still, I only did that because I'm tired. She was right, I got her the chain and told her to always wear it so that I can differentiate her from other girls".
"Okay".

His phone starts ringing, he groans and throws it on my bed almost hitting me.
"Your mum?"
"Yeah, one of many stories about how Christmas came to exist. I can't believe she's already calling me when Christmas is in three months".

"Answer before she calls--" I'm cut off when my phone rings "She's already calling me".

"Don't pick up"
I smile.

Mama

"You bastard!" he curses.

Adam why isn't Sahil picking up? We haven't seen him in over a year. He missed Christmas last year so please do what you can to make sure he celebrates it at home this time.

Don't worry even if I'm dragging him to Morocco myself.

Okay. Thank you.

You're welcome.
She ends the call.

"I'm dragging you with me".
"I wish you could, I wouldn't be suffering this much".

Sahil is actually Muslim but his mother and siblings aren't. He promised her that he'll always come for Christmas since it means so much to the family.

I can't blame him though, he always feels like an unwanted guest.

Aleeya.

"So? Is there a reason you couldn't wait till tomorrow to see me?" I ask Khalil blushing like crazy.

He smiles "I've never taken you to restaurant, right?" he asks diverting the conversation.

I look around "It's the first time we are meeting in public" I hold his hands but he pulls them away looking around like he was afraid to get caught.

"Don't worry my dad isn't spying on us".
"It's not him I'm worried about".

I was so excited I couldn't wait anymore "So the last time we met you said we'd talk about getting married and set the date my parents will come see yours".

"That's why I asked to meet you".
"Okay. What do you think of May? It's five months from now".

"No!" he says abruptly getting people's attention. He quickly picks up his cap and puts it on, covering his face.
"What is it? Is it too late? We can make it March if you prefer it".

"No Aleeya. You and I aren't getting married, marriage needs love".
"But I love you and you love me too so why shouldn't we?"

"Because I don't love you. I thought the hints I kept dropping might help but you're just so clueless, I keep wandering how someone like you can be a therapist, I swear I do".

"Is this a joke?" I smile.
"Aleeya in this world we live in, men like me never date women like you but I thought maybe I should try.... It only brought me problems".

"Guys like you?"
"I mean married men. A friend said dating other married women was easier because you both don't want to get caught so you're very cautious, I thought I could prove him wrong by dating you but he had never been so right. I always wander if I'm raising my daughter or you".

I stay quiet.

"No offence but I'm in no mood to date someone who doesn't have the capacity to understand basic logic. I'm dating someone else now".

"Married woman?" I ask subconsciously.
"Yeah but it was fun knowing you" he gets up and walks out.

How did I not notice, was I too blind that I didn't see it? I always caught onto things like this when it happens to others but not myself.

Declined!