Chapter 10: Epilogue

Miranda emerged from the bedroom to find Andrea pacing in a bikini top and sarong. "Feeling impatient?"

"Yes, of course I'm impatient. It's our first tropical swim together."

"Well, you can calm down, because I'm ready." Miranda held out the stack of towels. "We can leave these near the water."

"Okay." Andrea shrugged. "But it's not like anyone will see us at our private resort."

"You keep saying that word."

"Because I've never had a private anything! And because I'm excited to go swimming in a place where we don't have to worry about anyone seeing us."

Miranda couldn't help but smile. "All right then. Let's go."

They held hands as they walked down the beach to the edge of the water. Miranda glanced around once—she couldn't help it—but then she slipped out of her coverup.

Andrea's sarong fell into a heap at her feet. "Ready?"

Miranda's stomach was full of butterflies, but she nodded.

They stepped into the water together, losing their legs at exactly the same time. Miranda glided through the water while Andrea splashed around, waving her tail.

Andrea beamed. "Doesn't it feel amazing?"

"Yes, it does." The blue water was clear as glass and warm like a hug.

"This is going to be like snorkeling, but one million times better."

"So you've said. Many... many times. For example, the whole flight here."

Andrea laughed. "Okay, point taken. I just can't wait to show you."

They dipped below the surface together and began to swim side-by-side. They passed seashells, fish, and bright green seaweed.

They swam deeper, past a cliff of sand, and then she saw it—the coral reef dawning before them. It was a rainbow of brilliant colors, teaming with life and swarming with schools of tropical fish.

Andrea waved her hand and mouthed ta-da!

Miranda allowed herself a wide, unrestrained smile. After all, no one would see but the fish.

Beautiful, she mouthed back.

With a flick of her tail, Andrea swam over for a kiss. Then, they held hands and went exploring.

~~~~~~~ The End ~~~~~~

Thank you for reading! For more of my writing, check out http://quinnivins.com