Chapter 4

The Nether was as close to a frenzy as they could come. Though hiding under a facade of calculating calm, the Piglins had all but rolled out the red carpet for the new Tithe - but amplified tenfold for George's debut.

As George traipsed through the main halls of the castle, even he was impressed. The palace shone, gleaming from stem to stern.

Before the prince had a chance to look around, his parents swept down the nether quartz stairs that monopolized the main entrance.

They looked regal, his mother in a charcoal velvet gown embroidered with gold thread, his father in a matching suit. They were both wearing Netherite crowns, smothered in rubies.

His mother waved a hand and at once a servant scurried forward, holding out a plush cushion. It held a gleaming Netherite circlet, simple yet elegant, the only decoration sharp Netherite studs circling it.

Gingerly, George placed it on his head.
"I suppose it'll do. Really, Georgios, you should've worn something nicer. It's your debut after all." Queen Colephire sniffed, looking away.

The King said nothing, simply glaring at George with menace, a hand firmly on the hilt of his sword.

George sighed inwardly, used to the cheap insults and critisicm. Still, he couldn't deny the small pang of hurt he felt.

"Mother, we're going to be late. Shouldn't we hasten to the Portal?"

Nodding harshly, Colephire glided to the gaping front doors, and as was custom, began the walk to the Portal. George walked after his father, glad to be out of his eyesight.

It was a trail that George was familiar with, twisting and branching off into the lush gardens. He smiled bitterly, wondering what this "Dream" would be like.

Meek, he imagined, and distant. Maybe even a little rude - just like all the other Tithe candidates. They were always too young, or too old, or simply ugly both inside and out.

George knew there would never be any escape to his monotonous cycle of living, just one obligation and tradition after the next.

Trapped in his sullen thoughts, he hadn't realized they had reached the Portal. Piglins surrounded them, and prodded George in the back to take his place front and center to greet the new arrival.

He gazed into the indigo swirls, straining for a glimpse of this boy - then gasped in surprise as the most gorgeous man George had ever seen materialized.

||||||||||||||||||||||

Dream was immediately lurched from the ground, feeling his feet wrenched beneath him as he spun in a gale of violet.

As he clung to his bag, his hair whipping at his face, he could feel a slight shift and the churning air around him begin to still.

He could make out a few hazy red objects in front of him, vision blurry - but then it all snapped into place.

And there, standing only a few feet away from him, was the most dazzling boy Clay had ever laid eyes on. Stumbling out of the Portal, Dream paid no heed to his surroundings.

Indeed, all he could see was the boy in front of him. Eyes colored of warm chocolate batted at him, framed by thick lashes. A slight smile curved on his plump lips, skin practically glowing and milky white.

Dream followed the boy's body down, staring in rapture at his delicate shoulders, and his abdomen lean with muscle yet small and nimble.

And his outfit - Dream almost groaned at the sight of it. It was tight in all the right places, showing off his gorgeous body, and his long, willowy legs. He was ethereal, he couldn't possibly be real.