Chapter 10

For the first time in his life, George woke up warm. Lazily blinking his eyes, he nestled further into Clay's chest and started up at the sharp angle of his jaw, the dying embers of. the fire casting shadows dancing across the walls. It was still dark outside George realized with a start, and gratefully burrowed down in the covers.

Clay, while in his sleep, tucked his arms closer around George's back and pulled him flush to his chest. Blushing slightly, George smiled into, Clay's shirt and watched the falling snow as he fell asleep. Stars seemed to fall from the sky, fresh snow dusting the treetops like icing sugar on a cake.

Flakes of lace and glitter drifted from the sky, sticking to the windowpane as if to sneak a peek at the peaceful boys slumbering inside. The snow quieted the forest, normal sounds of animals dulled to a frosty silence, even hushing the howling wind to a dull whisper. The whole world seemed to rest, allowing the boys their night together to be perfect.

In the wee light of morning, Clay arose. Automatically, he made to get up but then realized the predicament he was in; he and George's limbs were tangled together like ants in a spider's web. Every time he tenthly pulled an arm or a leg away, George would shiver and pull it back in his sleep, obstinate that they had to remain together. Dream smiled, softly rubbing a thumb across the brunettes cheek. Blearily stretching, George nuzzled into it like a kitten, pecking Clay's palm and sitting up.

"I'm sorry Georgie, I didn't mean to wake you."

George waved Clay off and stifled a yawn. "It's all right, darling, I was waking up anyways. How'd you sleep?"

Clay grinned and pulled George to his side, planting a kiss on top of his head and ruling his hair, much to George's chagrin.

"Better, with you next to me." Clay said softly, causing George to blush furiously. "As much as I'd love to stay right here with you..." he continued, pressing a kiss to the tip of George's nose, "We'd better get moving."

George belligerently agreed, and the boys dressed in the warm clothes they had found in the cabin. Behind a loose board in the wall that they must've missed in the dim light last night, Clay found two pairs of boots and some warm sweaters. Pulling on his new armor to the cold, George slipped his hand in Dream's and the two walked into the snow.

The rising sun bled orange hues into the dark sky, sending rays of light as bright as diamonds leaping over the banks of snow. They sparkled and shone, each tree encased in a case of glass. Icicles dripped from the trees like jewels around a Royal's neck, both deadly and beautiful. The snow masked any tracks or sounds emitted from the forest - it was as if George and Dream were alone in a bubble of silent perfection.

The trees, devoid of any leaves, clattered and whispered amongst each other, bony branches like limbs stretching out to take George into their clutches. He shuddered as they brushed his jacket, feeling as if behind the glimmer and magic was a potent cruelty of the winter; death on gilded wings.

The boys soon tired, and perched on a fallen tree to rest for the moment. George had just opened his mouth to speak when - Clay clapped his hand over George's mouth and yanked him to the ground. George bristled, slapping Dream's hand away and making to sit up.

"Excuse me, you"-

"Sshh!" Clay hissed, eyes skinning into the depths of the forest. "Be quiet, and for god's sake get down!"

George crouched down, hastened by Clay's tone. Leaning into his ear, he whispered "What is it?"

Clay, saying nothing, simply pointed farther into the trees and cupped a hand around his ear. George strained for sound, but could hear nothing - the snow blanketing the ground muffled any sound. Dream, however, had grown up in the woods - he had a hunter's ear, and could pick up even the slightest movement.