Chapter 8

Chapter 8

George landed on the ground with a hard thud. Dazed, he waited momentarily for the dizziness to go away, then blinked his eyes and took in his surroundings. Dream was seated a few feet away from him, groaning and rubbing his elbow.

"D-Dream? Where are we?" George said, voice rising in octave as he realized they weren't in the Portal Room. The boys seemed to have landed in a sort of meadow, flanked on either side by towering spruce forests. If George hadn't been so scared, it would've been picturesque; fat bumblebees buzzed by on a cool breeze that whisked from the ground.

The grass blanketing the floor was soft as a carpet, and flowers were scattered throughout the meadow like a giant walking by had had a hole in his pocket. Leafy ferns bordering the forest waved enticingly, fronds thick and deep green. Even the trees were beautiful, vibrant leaves yellowing lie old books and turning every hue of fire as a nod to the upcoming autumn. Though it was sunny, there was a nip in the air, and George wrapped his arms around himself. Dream hesitantly got to his feet, watching the horizon.

"I'm honestly not sure. What happened in there? I didn't think anything could destroy portals!"

George gulped and joined Dream were he was pacing a few feet away.

"Thats part of the reason Ghasts are so controlled - they're one of the few things that can. I have no idea how it slipped by the handlers, only that it's happened only once before in my lifetime."

Dream groaned again and raked a hand through his hair.

"What are we going to do, George? I have no idea where we are..." Dream looked at George imploringly, lip trembling. George abruptly sat back down, hugging his knees. "The palace will have sent patrols out by now, but we could be literally anywhere in the Overworld - it's possible they could never find us." George didn't look up from where he was picking at a blade of grass, but could feel Dream sit next to him.

Focusing on the ground, George seized his chance. "Please, Dream, you must know, I didn't know my father was going to be there. It was coincidence - and I only agreed with him because I was scared, scared that he might hurt you..." George said softly, gnawing on his lip. Dream didn't say anything, and they sat in silence, the only sounds the swoosh of the wind brushing the swaying grasses.

What seemed like hours but must've only been minutes passed, until finally tears sprung to George's eyes. He knew it, he had ruined any chance of friendship he might've - a warm hand covered his own. Omitting a soft gasp, George turned to face Dream where he sat. The man was staring at him with a serene smile.

"I know, George. I don't blame you, you needn't worry."

The weight sat on George's shoulders seemed to evaporate. With a stifled sob, he threw himself at Dream, hugging him fiercely. "Thank you," he murmured against Dream's neck, tears staining Dream's collar. A few seconds later warm, broad arms encircled George, pressing him closer to Dream's chest. George stayed just like that, quietly sniffling into Dream's warm shoulder until the light started to drain away at the horizon. He detached from Dream's shoulder and smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry, got a bit ahead of myself..." Dream chuckled and rose to his feet, offering George a hand up.

"Cmon Georgie, we need to find somewhere to stay for the night. It's already getting dark." He said, frowning at the surrounding forest. A great rumble sounded in the distance.

"W-what was that?" George cried, hiding behind Dream.

"Uh oh-"

With another boom, the heavens opened, drenching Dream and George in a matter of seconds. George screamed and brushed himself frantically. "getitoffmegetitoffmegetitoff-"