11

"why did you have to leave?" i stare at the picture of jasper with shaking hands. "of all the people i've lost, you're the one that i just can't get over. i miss you."

"maryah! come here!" my aunt calls from the other room and i quickly put the picture down.

"coming!" i call back, standing up from my desk.

i walk into her room to find her sitting on her bed and looking sad.

"how are you doing?" she asks and i look at her, confused.

"i'm okay, why?" i ask and she shakes her head.

"i just know that today is a year since jasper passed away so i wanted to check on you." she whispers and i smile.

"i'm okay. i just want to take a day to myself."

•••

i finally stop fighting the urge to text harry and grab my phone.

me:
why didn't you just
leave it alone?

hazza:
i couldn't just let it
happen maryah.

me:
of course not...

"that media stunt you pulled was pretty cool." niall whispers and i roll my eyes, fighting the urge to smile.

"yeah right." i laugh.

•••

today madison is absent since she has the flu so i walk into class and sit down alone. i notice people looking at me and i try to ignore it until two girls start talking.

"oh she's the girl that switched soulmates." the first girl whispers and i look over at them.

"i thought you couldn't do that." the second girl gasps and the first one shrugs.

"well apparently she can."

"don't listen to them. they don't know what they're talking about." niall whispers, causing me to laugh softly.

"right." i shake my head, smiling for the firs time in a few days.

•••

"are you listening to me?" madison asks, my attention clearly not on her.

"yeah, sorry, i was just thinking." i shake my thoughts away and she raises her eyebrows.

"about harry?" she assumes and i shake my head.

"actually no, about niall." i smile, knowing he can hear our conversation.

"you seem happier." she smiles and i nod.

"i am."

•••

as soon as i get home, i text harry to check on him and louis.

me:
how is lou doing?

hazza:
he's good, how is niall.

me:
he's good.

hazza:
and you?

me:
as good as i can be.

i lock my phone and begin working on my homework when niall speaks.

"how was your day?" he asks and i smile at his interest.

"it was good." i smile and he laughs.

"sure it was." he teases and i roll my eyes.

"i'm serious!" i argue, laughing.

"i am too!"

"oh my gosh." i roll my eyes.

my relationship with niall is different from my relationship with harry. harry and i's relationship was forced together almost. niall and i just naturally get along.

don't get me wrong, i was happy with harry but niall just reminds me that life isn't perfect, but we can find the little things in it to make it bearable.