PROLOGUE

ROSALIA WAS LYING in the middle of a clearing with her nine year old sister, Willa

ROSALIA WAS LYING in the middle of a clearing with her nine year old sister, Willa. It was their secret spot whenever one of them wanted to escape reality, Rosalia to flee her daily responsibilities and Willa to pretend to be a princess. The older sister was reflecting the light of the sun on her sword, a gift from her eighteenth birthday she was carrying everywhere she went. Her father liked to joke that it was their new addition to the family. The younger sister was picking out flowers to make a flower crown. There was an overwhelming sentiment of peace and quietness. That is, until Willa was finished with her work.

"Look at my flower crown! On your wedding day, I'll make you one just like this."

Rosalia examined the poorly-made flower crown.

"You know what, I think it's better if we save it for my funeral." Decided Rosalia.

"But your funeral will be in so long!"

Rosalia burst into laughter.

"Well, I hope so!"

"Unless I'm a powerful sorceress and you're a terrible ogress that I have to kill right now."

"Really, ogress is the first thing that came to your mind for me? Prepare yourself for your attack, young lady!"

Before Willa could do anything, Rosalia threw herself at her to tickle her. Willa laughed while trying to get away from he sister.

"Please, stop, I surrender! I surrender!" She begged.

Rosalia stopped tickling her for a moment.

"Who is the most beautiful girl in the world?"

"It's me."

Her hands dangerously came near her throat when she hastily added:

"You're the second one."

"Good enough."

Willa put the flower crown on her head. Most of them fell on the grass in the process but Rosalia thought it would best to not say anything.

"I can't believe you're soon going to be married. And to Illya. He really does look like a prince." Said Willa.

Rosalia had been promised to Illya for a few years now. He was one of the best warriors of the nearest village. They had met because their fathers were such good friends, having fought together many times, and were delighted at the idea of becoming a real family, atlas.

"I know, I can't believe it either."

"Do you love him?"

"You know, love really doesn't work like that. I don't think I know him enough to love him, but it certainly helps that he looks like a prince."

"If you don't marry him, can I?"

"Do I have to remind you that you're nine?"

"I'm soon going to be ten."

"Really doesn't help your case."

"What is that?"

"What?"

"Listen." Insisted Willa.

Rosalia got up and kept quiet to pay more attention to her surroundings. She furrowed her eyebrows as she heard screams, and to confirm her doubts, clouds of smoke were scattering in what used to be a bright blue sky.

"Maybe father burned his pie again." She suggested although her eyes were filled with fear.

"Then why are people screaming?!" Panicked Willa.

"Because it smells like burnt pie, I don't know! Please don't let it be..."

"The Red Paladins." She finished with a deadly tone.

"Come with me, we'll just take a closer look."

Rosalia et Willa carefully approached their village. It didn't take them long to understand their worst fears had become true. The Red Paladins were massacring their entire village and burning their houses. Screams of despair persisted in her ears as she stood in front of everything she cherished up in flames. Tears were streaming down her little sister's face but Rosalia knew she couldn't let herself be overwhelmed by her emotions right now.

"Father..." Cried Willa.

"Would never forgive me if I went back there with you."

"But what if he's..."

"It doesn't matter, Willa. You're my responsibility. We have to go. Grab my hand and everything will be okay."

Willa reluctantly accepted her hand before they ran as fast as their legs allowed it, which visibly wasn't enough because their way was soon blocked by a man wearing a black cloak. A man Rosalia had only heard the name of. The Weeping Monk.

◉◉◉

I hope you enjoyed this brief introduction to Fated! Please let me know if you liked it, it always helps me write chapters faster. And since English is not my first language, also don't hesitate to let me know if there were any mistakes.