CHAPTER ONE

ROSALIA'S HEART missed a beat as the Weeping Monk was getting closer to her

ROSALIA'S HEART missed a beat as the Weeping Monk was getting closer to her. She immediately drew her sword to defend herself. Willa was hiding behind her, terrified. Rosalia attacked him first, finding all the energy she could in the endless anger and grief she had felt and was still feeling when finding her home destroyed. And he was a part of it. He needed to pay. But blinded by her emotions, she had forgot to remember what she was taught, and her sword quickly flew out of her hands to drop on his side. Her little sister screamed her name to express her despair. They both knew there was no way for Rosalia to get it back. This was Rosalia's end, but certainly not Willa's.

"Willa, go!" She ordered.

Willa seemed to hesitate.

"Now!" She said with a harsher tone she rarely used.

Willa, tears in her eyes, started running, soon becoming a distant silhouette in the forest. Rosalia was now on her own facing her enemy. She tried her best to conceal her fear. Her father had always told her than showing your adversary that you're afraid only gave them more power. She secretly hoped he was alive and well and would come save his little girl from the monster standing in front of her. But he was nowhere to be found, so the least Rosalia could do was honour him.

"Go on. Do it." She encouraged him.

The Weeping Monk walked closer to her, his sword still in hand. Rosalia froze without even realizing it. He stopped for a second, confused.

"You're not Fey, are you?"

Only half, she thought, but people often mistake her for human. Her Fey abilities were barely existent.

"Does it matter?"

"Of course it matters. Why are you helping them?"

"The same reason why you're killing them. Justice, although we seem to have very different definitions of it."

"Indeed. You know they'd burn you just like them."

"I know. That's why I'm rather relieved that you're killing me now. I always hated fire."

"I'm not killing you. Not today anyway. But I'm taking you with me."

"Hum, I don't think so."

As her last resort, Rosalia sprinted in the opposite direction. She heard him get on his horse to follow her. Her mind kept telling her it was hopeless but she owed it to herself to at least try to escape him. Without any place to hide, she thought of her father whispering to call on the Hidden whenever she needed help. Start by something small, he would say, when frustrated, she wasn't reaching the wanted results. While keeping her father in mind, she imagined a branch wrapping itself around her attacker. His horse's neigh confirmed to her that she had managed to do it. She seized this moment of inattention to hide behind the closest tree. It was the thing that made the most sense considering he would soon get out of this situation and she had already exhausted herself by running for so long.