CHAPTER TWO

ROSALIA WENT BACK to the clearing, nourishing the hope her sister was waiting for her there

ROSALIA WENT BACK to the clearing, nourishing the hope her sister was waiting for her there. But Willa was nowhere to be found. She couldn't bear the thought of her all alone in the forest, or worse... but she hadn't allowed herself to imagine what the worse could be yet. Willa was only nine. How could she possibly survive on her own? Rosalia prayed for her safe return while wandering aimlessly in the forest. She eventually stumbled upon a cave where she cried herself to sleep.

That night, she dreamt of him. The Weeping Monk. She was in a field, looking at a mill as fire consumed it. Her vision was obscured by some sort of fog. But still, she could feel his gaze piercing through her entire being. It left her an unsettling sensation when she woke up the next morning, that she tried to shake off by walking to the nearest town. She had remembered last night her father telling her that she had family there from her mother's side. Although she had never met them, it was the only place she could think of. As long as she kept her head low, she should be fine.

Rosalia froze when she heard footsteps. She rapidly drew her sword as they became louder and was ready to attack when she thought she saw someone she knew. She blinked twice just to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

"Oh Gods, I thought I was hallucinating for a second! It's really you!"

Rosalia tightly hugged Nimue, one of her closest friends. Possibly her only friend left.

"Rosie! I'm so glad you're alive!"

They looked at each other after their embrace, recognizing in each other's eyes the pain and grief they shared.

"Do you know if my father...?" Wondered Rosalia.

"I'm sorry, Rosie. He died while trying to save someone." Nimue confirmed.

"That sounds like him." She revealed with a light chuckle while trying to fight back her tears.

"What about your sister?"

"I don't know where she is. "

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault. But please promise we'll stay together. I've lost everyone and I just... I feel so lonely."

"Of course, I promise. But you're probably going to be in a lot of danger with me."

"What's new?"

"No, I mean... they're actually looking for me."

"They're looking for all of us."

"But me especially. I've... I've done things, Rosie. I can't tell you now but..."

"I get it. When it's safe, if there is such a time."

Both had planned to go to the next town. Rosalia missed having compagny more than she would've thought. It filled a little bit of the huge hole she had in her heart.