Part One, 1873: Chapter Nine

September 4th, 1873, Yellowstone National Park

After spending an entire five days on the road, or rather in the mountains, Pete still felt the need to turn around and ride home. She only wanted to keep Alice safe and she knew this was the best possible way. However, her heart told her that leaving her was wrong.

Jonathan pulled his horse up beside her and panted. "Are we close?"

"Yes. The park is just ahead." Pete made sure to sign everything she said so that Hany could understand without having to repeat it all. "If they are still there, and that is a big if, they will be at the heart of town. Probably in a saloon or a boarding house. That's what you said, right?"

"They will be there, alright."

"What makes you so sure?"

"They have yet to get what they want." He said in a matter of fact tone. "The Frederick brothers do nothin' half heartedly. If they really wanted Miss Alice like Ernest said, they will still be there waitin' on their boys to meet them, so that both parts of the plan can come together. I would bet my life on it."

"Fine." Pete clicked her tongue and they galloped the rest of the way to Yellowstone, but didn't enter town.

They rested their horses and tended to them in a well wooded area, then made their way to the outer borders.

"Where is the saloon?" Jonathan asked as he began to step toward town. "I can--"

"No. You have to stay here."

He guffawed and turned toward her. "You still don't trust me, do you?"

"That has nothing to do with it. Nor does my worrying you may run." Pete explained. "If they're in either a saloon or a whore house or a boarding house, wherever they are, you can't be seen. They know what you look like."

"Then, what am I to do? Just wait here while you charge in and get yourself and Miss Hany killed?" He looked at Hany who was adamantly scanning the crowd of people walking through the main street ahead. "I ain't just--"

"You can and you will. Hany and I know how to defend ourselves and the second you hear a gunshot, come runnin'." She gave his back a hard pat and squeezed the back of his neck. "It isn't that I don't trust you, Jonathan. I was wrong to get angry. I know you have your children to worry about and that fear, I'm sure, can be very paralyzing. But if they see you comin', they will suspect somethin' is up. I'm doing this because I trust you to come runnin' if we need you. Alright? And don't enter through the front. Go in through the back."

He hesitantly nodded and turned back to the main street. After giving his back one last sturdy pat, Pete stepped out of the shadows and into the busy street. Hany was glued to her side, the Winchester they still had held tightly within her grasp. For once, Hany's hands were visibly shaking and it halted Peter's advancements. She took Hany by the wrist and they slunk back into the shadows once more.

Bringing Hany in front of herself to meet her gaze, Pete peered deeply into her eyes. "Stay here." When she tried to shuffle the rifle in her hands to show her protests no doubt, Pete shook her head and held up a hand. "Don't argue with me. Just be ready to act if Jonathan hears anything."

With one last nod in Jonathan's direction as he guided Hany to stand with him behind some trees, Pete pivoted and waltzed back onto the street. There were so many worries running through her mind. She wondered if Alice was healing well from her injuries. Her mind took her to the dark places from within she feared she may never emerge if anything befell Hany or Jonathan while she wasn't with them, while she was in town. Pete wavered in her otherwise brazen steps as she began to imagine what scenarios she may walk into upon entering the boarding house just ahead. Would she walk away from this journey as unscathed as her previous endeavors?