Part One, 1873: Chapter Ten

September 9th, 1873, Outskirts of Yellowstone, Hendrix Homestead

Pete scratched at her ear as she dismounted and Hany swatted at her hand. With a grimace, she looked at Hany and nodded. The damn thing itched so badly she hadn't been able to sleep last night and the ache in her jaw didn't help much either, but at least both were healing well enough. Same as the graze to her leg, although it still didn't itch near as much as her ear. Also, she wanted Hany to get some rest and someone had to keep an eye on Michael, so sleep just hadn't been something she could take lightly. She hated bringing him along, but with Jonathan's last act being him trying to convince her to take him back with them alive, guilt had taken over.

Pete watched as Hany untied Michael's ropes from her saddle and began to tug him toward the house. No one was coming out to meet them and it sent an eeriness through the air. This wasn't typical, not by a long shot. Had something more happened while they were--

"Hany! Pete!" She heard called from the direction of the shed.

Pete whipped around and spotted all three children running toward them. The tightening weight in her chest relaxed and she fell to her knees as they met up with her. Pete took them into her arms and Ida began to cry into her shoulder. Just then, Dale, the little boy from Yellowstone, jumped down from his mare and shifted a bit before bouncing up and down. By the look on his face, he needed to relieve himself and his little dance made the kids and Pete giggle.

"Y'all show li'l Dale where the outhouse is. I need to talk to your ma. M'kay?"

They gave her looks that said they weren't quite ready to leave, but eventually, one by one, they ran to Dale and led him away. Full of questions, they pulled on his clothes and gave Dale their undivided attention. He kept his hands stuck to his nether regions, walking with his legs close together toward the outhouse. His attention, however, was plastered to Ida as she took his hand, sending a deep blush along his cheeks. The ease with which children accepted each other always astounded Pete.

Maybe... Maybe bringing the boy with us wasn't such a bad idea in the end. His ma didn't even make it through the night and his sister was hell in a handbasket... But what am I goin' to do with a youngster?

Pete rose from the ground and watched Hany pull the nearly constantly grunting Michael into the house. With his mouth gagged, it was the only sound he could muster, but somehow just as irritating in hearing his attempts at bribery, which was yet another reason to appall him. Pete scoffed and felt a smirk rise on her face.

Never had Hany shown just how capable she was until this journey. True, she was extremely valuable as a partner and a best friend on the road, on their jobs, but it was different this time. Pete was filled with a sense of joy, fear and pride in the five days it had taken them to travel home. Joy in the resourcefulness Hany showed, fear in the thought she would be leaving her and pride in what Hany had in her near future.

On their way home, after journeying about three days, Hany had revealed she missed her bleeding. She and Roy couldn't legally marry, he hadn't a penny to his name and he had no home other than the Hendrix's homestead to call his own, but she knew Roy would be damned if he let Hany slip away. Pete wasn't happy about losing her companion she had hoped would be with her the rest of her life, but she felt undying joy for her dearest person. Dearest person... She shook the thought from her mind. All that mattered was Hany's high spirits that were never going to fade no matter the years she, Roy and their future children spent together. That was enough.

Still, this meant that Pete would be alone now. Their job was nearly done. The safety deposit box key was securely tucked away within her vest pocket and they had caught all their targets. Once she was done wrapping things up and she had safely transported Alice home, then got the contents of the Covington's safety deposit box back to them which in reality could take quite some time, Pete would be alone again. In fact, she would be alone for part of that journey no matter what.