Part Two, 1879: Chapter Seventeen

November 30th, Several Miles Outside of Jackson Mississippi

Alice watched as one of Jack's men tied ropes around Pete's wrists while being held from behind by another of his men. There were three of them in all, nothing Pete wouldn't have regularly been able to handle, but with Alice there, she'd been distracted. Alice was reminded once more of the dangers they faced, but this one in particular enraged her more than all the others.

The man finished tying off the ropes and yanked Pete to her feet. He glared at her, looking up and down her body, then sent a questioning gaze toward Jack.

"I know. It is hard to believe, right? He... It seems like a man." Jack cackled and took hold of Alice's face. He menacingly stared into her eyes. "I guess this explains why you were always turning me down, doesn't it? You are ill, but illnesses can be cured, dear."

Jack pushed her face away and Alice gripped her chin reflexively. It didn't hurt. It was more the idea that he had touched her so aggressively and without permission in the first place that was so unsettling. Not to mention what he and his men were currently discussing. How long had Jack known about Pete and more importantly, what was he going to do about it?

"Let me go." Alice demanded in a flat and even tone.

"I cannot do that, lovely." Jack walked to the door and held it open as the men began to shuffle Pete and Alice out into the hallway. He led them toward one of the freight cars at the caboose of the train. Was he going to keep them there? Alice looked back over her shoulder and Pete sent her what she assumed was meant to be a reassuring gaze, but it only frazzled her more. "Peter..." Jack began again. Alice whipped her head around and found him chuckling. "No, that is not right. Milly there has quite the influential brother. You really should have taken him up on his offer, Alice."

"Then, am I right in assuming you are his dog?"

A harsh slap hit her face and she fell back into the man who held onto her. She heard Pete scuffling behind them, but Alice held up her hand and she fell still. Jack was in her face in less than a second. "Do not push me, Alice. He said nothing about your state other than needing you alive. And I am not above giving a firm hand. Unlike you."

"You do not scare me, Mister Marsters. And again, I'd prefer it if you called me in a more formal manner." Alice seethed.

He snorted, his face dripping with amusement, then finally replied, "Well, we will just have to change that."

He opened the door that led to a train crossing and one by one they made their way into the next car. Once all were inside, Jack took hold of Alice's arm and nodded to one of his men. She felt the brunt end of Jack's rifle pressed to her ribcage and held still. The man to whom Jack nodded walked to one of the large doors which was used to load and unload merchandise at their destinations. He opened it and the other man moved Pete to it, making Alice's heart skip several beats.

Now, she couldn't stop herself from fighting against Jack. She stomped her foot down on one of his and elbowed his gut, but was stopped before she could get anywhere by one of his men. Alice struggled against him, trying to get to Pete, but she got absolutely nowhere.

"Enough!" Jack roared. He came around and held his rifle to Pete's head as they made her get down on her knees beside the open door. "Either settle, or she dies now!"

Alice threw her hands up and stopped fighting, momentarily forgetting how to breathe as Jack cocked his gun. She stared into Pete's eyes as she smiled back at her. How could she be smiling at a time like this? She shouldn't be, even if she was trying to be brave. They had just gotten back together, just started putting things where they were meant to be, just begun sincerely speaking to one another and now...now...