Epilogue: 1880

April 10th, 1880, Hendrix and Quaid Family Ranch

Roy, Pete and Dale gathered flowers in the fields behind the Quaid's cottage that sat atop one of the many hills on her land. Dale collected flowers for his sweetheart, a girl Pete was happy to see he hadn't lost interest in, as Roy gathered for Hany and Pete for Alice. Her Alice.

She played with the ring on her finger and watched it shimmer under the sunlight, never getting tired of seeing its sparkle. They had been married for the last four months, making it official as soon as they reached the next town on their long railroad journey. Each day she spent with Alice, she was amazed that she managed to fall deeper and deeper in love with her still.

The subtle slope of Alice's hips as she swayed around their cottage, cleaning the dusty shelves and the way she sang as she went about her chores were just little things that added to the biggest emotion Pete had ever felt. Captivating her more, Alice's wit, her gentleness, the way she looked out for everyone who needed a helping hand without a single question, without them ever having asked. Never had Pete believed this would be her life one day and now that she was actually here, now that she was actually living it day in and day out, she was flabbergasted at the thought she had ever gone without. Alice was encompassing, filling her every thought.

The only things that ever saddened Pete was that they would always have to be on guard to keep her identity safe and that she couldn't give Alice the child she wished she could. Still, they had the Hendrix family looking out for them, those who knew of Pete's secret and could be trusted with it. On top of that, they had each other and Dale. He called her "pa". Dale always had, but now it felt even more right. She feared the day she would have to tell him the truth of who she was, but that was in the future. For now, she just wanted to enjoy her life for which she had finally found the courage to fight.

"Hey, pa!" Dale called from across the field. She lifted her gaze toward him, wafting in the glow hearing him call her that created. He waved her over and she jogged to his side. "Look! Aren't these nice? You think she will like 'em, pa?"

"I think she will, son. Very much."

Pete gave him a firm pat on his back and he beamed at her. They walked over to Roy who smiled, wildflowers in hand. "You both got some good ones, too." He smiled down at his flowers. "Hany loves these. Our cottage will smell nice, too. I keep tracking goat droppings inside and she might kill me in my sleep if I do it again."

They all chuckled and began walking around to the front of Pete's cottage. She caught sight of Alice in the kitchen window and paused. Dale and Roy stepped up beside her and she glanced at them both, resting her gaze on Dale.

"You did good, pa. I always liked Alice...but..." He scratched the patchy hair starting to grow along his chin. Hardly thirteen and already growing odd hairs here and there, Pete was convinced Dale would have his hands quite full with learning to shave very soon. She smiled at the idea of the opportunity, but realized he'd trailed off.

"But? You have a problem with my wife, kid?" Pete nudged his shoulder and he laughed.

"Nah, she's great. I just..." Dale shuffled his feet for a moment. "I just don't know if I can call her ma just yet, you know?"

"You call her what you would prefer, Dale. She won't pay it any mind as long as you're happy. Just remember to be respectful and that we're a family." Pete replied, knowing there was no need to remind Dale of such things. He was the best example of respect and admiration she had ever seen. Held doors for women and pulled out chairs, even stood when they left the table. She glanced back at Alice who was in her own little world as she most likely fixed their lunch inside. "Well, I better get these to the missus and y'all better get those to your ladies as well."

"Yes, pa. I'll be back after I visit Martin's workshop." Dale said as he backed away toward the stables. He waved and ducked inside, saying something inaudible to the animals within.

Roy smirked after him and turned back to Pete. "I'm glad you're back, Pete. We missed you here brother, so don't go runnin' off again."

"I won't. At least," She glanced up toward her cottage and took in her wife's beauty, feeling rather dazed. "Not alone." Pete walked toward her cottage, hearing Roy retreating and waved one last time without turning back.

When she stepped up to the door, she could hear Alice singing from within. Before, she hadn't ever really sung much, but Pete had picked up on it as a sign that she was in high spirits. With a wide grin, she entered their home and the engulfing, lovely smells of the stew on the stove, sounds of the fire crackling and kindling inside of it and Alice's singing were utterly harmonious. Pete walked up behind her and wrapped her arms around her waist.

Alice let her head fall back against her shoulder and moaned as Pete's wondering hand found her hip, giving it a tender squeeze.

"Hello there, stranger." She murmured as she wiped her hands along her apron. Pete reached around her and held out the flowers, watching as Alice took in their scent. "That's so sweet. Are you hungry, darling?"

"Ravenous." She replied as she kissed the back of Alice's neck receiving one of her adorable exclamations as a reward. She glanced up at the bun Alice had put her hair up into and buried her nose in the nape of her neck. "But I'm not sure stew is what I had in mind."

Alice chuckled and turned around. She took the flowers from Pete's hand and set them onto the counter after giving them one last sniff. Alice draped her arms around her neck and played with the back of her hair.

"No hat today? I thought you had it on when you went out for the shorning earlier. Did it fall into the main goat pin again?"

Pete pouted and looked down at her trousers where her hat poked out of her pocket. Her trusty ivy cap was covered in mud and little blades of grass. Alice tugged it free with one hand while keeping the other at the back of Pete's head. She tossed it onto the kitchen table behind them and ruffled her hair.

"I like the untamed look more anyhow." Alice said as she leaned up and rubbed her nose along Pete's.

"Oh yeah, Missus Quaid?" She kissed the tip of her nose and smiled when Alice wiggled it.

"Oh yes, Mister Quaid."

Never had being called Mister Quaid felt so good and Pete knew that from anyone else's mouth, it would sound completely foreign. She kissed Alice's cheek and whispered into her ear, "I'm so happy, Asha."

"Good to hear." She played with the buttons of Pete's pullover and sent her a mischievous smile. "Why don't you show me how happy you are before the stew is finished and our family comes over."

"Anythin' for you, li'l miss."