coda.

Wheein lets out an exasperated but fond huff at the sound of her cell phone vibrating on her office desk, pausing the report she was just about to finish typing up to reach over and pick up her phone. She takes a quick glance at the time displayed in the corner of her computer screen. 5:10 PM. There can only be one person calling her at this time of day. A peek at the name displayed across her lit up phone screen when she presses the answer button only confirms her guess. "Hello?"

"You're late."

Wheein can't help but smile at the familiar whining tone that sounds in her ears. She can practically see the other's pout from their side of the line. "I lost track of time finishing this report, sorry Tae. Give me five more minutes and I'll be downstairs in no time."

"Can't I just take the elevator up and join you?" Taehyung's pleading tone almost crumbles Wheein's original resolve, until she recalls what happened the last time he 'took the elevator up and joined her'. She ended up working overtime that entire weekend just to meet her deadline instead.

"I'm not going to get any work done if you come up," Wheein sighs, shaking her head at the memory despite the fact that no one can actually see her actions. "You're too good of a distraction. You can head back if you need to Tae, I'll meet you back at the apartment."

"Wanted to walk you home," comes Taehyung's soft grumble. "Gonna wait down here."

Wheein can't help but soften at his words and resolve. "Alright, I'll be down as soon as I submit this report, okay? Promise."

"Okay."

She doesn't hang up on their call, opting instead to set her phone back down on the office desk to continue her work. They've long grown accustomed to comfortable silences over the past few years of their relationship and Wheein knows by now that Taehyung would much rather listen to the quiet clicks of her fingers dancing across the keyboard than just loiter around the first floor of her office building's lobby by himself. He was like that whenever they were at home too, happy with just being able to rest his head in her lap and simply being with her while they did something as mundane as read or scroll through their phones together.

Several minutes of furious typing and almost forgetting to save her entire document later, she's finally able to submit her last report of the week and log off, packing up her personal belongings and muttering a brief 'coming' into the phone before finally hanging up and tucking the device into her jacket pocket. Most of her colleagues have already headed home since it's a Friday, and she waves goodbye to one of the housekeeping staff before stepping into the elevator by herself.

The moment the doors part once again on the first floor, a figure darts in with lightning speed and pulls Wheein into a tight embrace, happily nuzzling their face into her hair. "Missed you."

Wheein quickly shuffles out of the elevator before the doors close once more, still awkwardly tucked in the other's embrace. They finally let go of her and the first thing she's greeted with is a beaming Taehyung. She glances left and right to make sure there's no one in the nearby vicinity watching, before standing up on her tiptoes to gently peck his left cheek. "Missed you too."

Taehyung's grin grows impossibly wider as he eagerly interlaces their fingers in an ever so familiar manner, lightly tugging her out of the building and onto the streets of downtown Seoul.

It's hard for Wheein to sometimes believe how much time has flown by since the fox spirit prince walking next to her barged back into her life. She no longer lives in the flat with her other three friends, and instead in an apartment closer to her workplace for more privacy and convenience. She's long quit her job at the cafe where Taehyung so unabashedly declared his love for her in front of all their customers back when he didn't know any better, now employed full time (much to Taehyung's horror and dismay) at a big brand company and doing well for herself. Despite all the rather nerve-wracking changes over the past few years in her life, the one thing that hasn't changed is her and Taehyung.