━━━━ chapter one.

.

THE NOISE OF TRAFFIC is nothing but a low hum from within the limousine― and the faint 'ting' of the messenger is clear enough to catch Jumin's attention almost immediately

THE NOISE OF TRAFFIC is nothing but a low hum from within the limousine― and the faint 'ting' of the messenger is clear enough to catch Jumin's attention almost immediately. picking his phone, he checks for the notification: a message from assistant Kang.

"Brew and chew café?" he read aloud, amusedly. "quite clever, don't you think, driver Kim?" he questions, unsurprised by the automated answer of 'yes, sir' that comes in reply.

Jumin informs the driver of the location, who then makes a turn on the street to head towards their new destination. it was one of those rare instances where assistant Kang had not been able to accompany him for a business meeting―a shame― although the exchange wasn't much of an issue, considering all the hard work she'd put in the project.

He stares out of the window, watching the bustle of the city which remains unchanged and yet different each day he passes the same street. the journey isn't too long, for not more than ten minutes later driver Kim's voice brings him back to attention, informing him they had arrived.

Hand rising unconsciously to fix his tie, he exits the limo to be welcomed by a sight of a flock of pigeons pecking on the ground outside the modern-looking café for any and every speck of food they could find.

and although the sight isn't all that impressive― three little children nearby don't quite seem to be agreeing with the notion― not when they run towards the group, squealing excitedly, causing the flock of birds to scramble away as they leave their treat untouched on the ground. the sound of feathers flapping against the wind in their wake.

Ignoring as the mother of said children rushes over to collect them, Jumin heads over to open the door of the cafe, the smell of freshly ground coffee beans wafting in to welcome him.

A ring of bell above the door announces his presence, and out of the corner of his eye, he notices the tired cashier looking at him with obvious interest.

There is a strange feeling of warmth that space carries in spite of being crowded, something the corporate heir is foreign to. However, his eyes scan the cosy-looking place for any signs of the person he was supposed to meet today.

It doesn't take too long to spot the man in question― much to his surprise― for despite the constant buzz of the people that were filling into the hall and lining up at the counter.

There he stands, clad in tweed, a brown-haired man in his thirties waving in the air with an amicable smile to gesture Jumin close.

On cue, he saunters over to the direction, where the chief coordinator of Edgar internationals' creative department waits on the table.

His eyes are tired, however, there is still a glimmer apparent in them which indicates his good nature as he offers his hand to Jumin in greeting.

"Mr Han! What a pleasure it is to finally meet you in person!" he says in a warm manner, and Jumin can tell he is being genuine by the friendly enthusiasm of his tone.

" Likewise, Mr Shizuka," he replies with a firm shake, as both of them settle down on their seats.

"I was informed by Ms Kang that you were interested in collaborating with Edgar internationals for the advertising process of your new brand? needless to say, I was honoured― a new drink, was it?"

"Energy drink. " Jumin corrected, instantly. "actually it was assistant Kang who insisted on Edgar internationals particularly. of course, I couldn't agree more, considering I'd done my research. your campaign for the cleanzo brand three years ago was very meticulous."

At the mention of the project, the older male's eyes brightened visibly. "Ah yes ! one of my personal favourites. the parent company was very fun to work with, I agree; I, however, cannot take credit for that project."

The swell of his chest was not one bit subtle as he pridefully added, "It was the new addition to our team ― my mentee, now the creative director ― Ms Chan. She has accompanied me today, in fact. right before you arrived, she took a trip to the ladies room."

Jumin, not knowing how else to respond, replied with an absent 'ah' of acknowledgement as the waitress teetered towards their table, who did not miss out on the opportunity of leaning a tad bit more to his side of the table when taking the order.

"― And, a cold coffee for my friend. she will be joining us shortly." Shizuka added, making Jumin wonder if it was alright to order for a lady in her absence.

"Am I late? " a tinkling, feminine voice called, catching the attention of both the men, who turned to acknowledge the new presence.

And there she was. not taller than 5'3'', dark-haired, gentle-faced. dressed formally in a pencil skirt that stopped just above her knees, a white blouse and heels that looked far more practical than the waitresses'―ironically enough.

Ophelia chan cut a graceful figure, striding over to take her seat as she whispered a subtle thanks to her boss for pulling out her chair. she had a charming smile, one that complimented her soft features well, that she flashed at Jumin as she extended her hand in greeting.

"It's an honour, Mr Han," she said, to which Jumin couldn't reply with anything more than a nod―watching her praise her boss about her order that he'd gotten right.

For some reason, there was something about her that rang a bell in his head― something that he couldn't pinpoint a finger to― making him feel nostalgic. And at the same time, curious. Like there was a detail that he was missing somewhere.

However there was work to be done, and unfortunately, Jumin Han was not a man of leisure who could waste his time dwelling on things aimlessly. So instead he brushed the feeling aside, focusing on discussing what he'd come to do.

True to their reputation, the officials of Edgar internationals were conscientious and well aware of what they were doing. Within a matter of fifteen minutes and a cup of coffee ( two, in Shizuka's case, ) they'd finalized the theme they were to plan the campaign on and fixed dates to discuss further details with the team.

The meeting ended surprisingly early, and once done with the bill, the chief coordinator in presence insisted they swap contact numbers.

"Here you go," The lady said, handing Jumin over her card which he tucked into the inside pocket of his blazer.

"See you later, Mr Han," she added, giving him a languid smile over her shoulder before turning to leave.

A smile that caused the usually robotic Jumin Han's stomach to do a very estranged, but oh so familiar, ballerina flip.

.