━━━━ chapter three.

"a little ridiculous is nice sometimes."

OPHELIA CHAN WAS REFRESHING .

ever since the late night email exchange , jumin and her exchanged texts often . texts that were not 'strictly work' enough to be qualified as professional .  they talked about the most mundane things ,  and somehow ― much to jumin's surprise ― ophelia could make the simplest things sound exciting . it was as if she lived in a romanticized movie ,  where everything was fun and beautiful . and despite being so ,  she was by no means a girl who saw the world with rose - tinted lenses ,  which was what made jumin look forward to talking with her .

even during office hours ,  the corporate heir sneaked a glance every five minutes  ;  for some unknown reason ,  jumin pretended his best to be subtle about his enthusiasm . it was almost as if a teenage boy hiding his secret rendezvous from his school friends ― in other words ― plainly ridiculous .  but that didn't mean he could stop himself either .

this went on for a week ,  until he was informed in one of his chats with ophelia that shizuka had planned a meeting to explain the ad strategy they'd come up with for the plan and discuss it with jumin . will you be coming too ?― he'd asked immediately ,  somehow feeling embarrassed after the text was sent―and she'd replied with a cheeky 'would you like me to ?'. something ,  he wouldn't deny ,  he would like very much . 

the meeting was set on the coming friday ,  and jumin could swear the thursday prior was the longest day he'd ever had to bear in his life . even office didn't have much work that day ,  as if to mock him further . however ,  once he'd entered his penthouse ,  it was as if the dullness in his movements vanished immediately when he realized :  tomorrow .

he spent more time picking his outfit for the next day than he had in years ,  and found himself absently whistling as he went on with his night time routine ,  checking emails ,  eating dinner ,  brushing elizabeth the third's fur . perhaps he was catching the 'ophelia' syndrome , too .

the morning next he was especially cheery ,  wishing his employees good morning as he so often did ,  but this time with a smile .  there was a slight jump in his step too . not just that ,  he'd even dressed differently this time ,  switching to a red tie instead of his usual black one ,  and a crisp white shirt underneath the three piece . everyone in the building was curious about the sudden change in the director's demeanor―jaehee kang most of all . he was almost pleasant today ,  and that simply gave her anxiety  :  please don't let this be another cat project idea ,  she prayed in her head .

surprisingly ,  she waited the whole day for another of his cat related ideas to pop it's ugly head up her files ,  but it didn't .  what didn't change though ,  was jumin's newfound energy which seemed to only grow more as the time passed . and on it's set time ,  a reminder for the meeting scheduled for today rang on her phone .

but it seemed jumin didn't need to be informed , for just as she rose from her seat to inform him ,  the director skipped out of his office on his own , surprising jaehee once again . seeing her standing ,  he looked surprised for a moment ,  then knowing .

" ah ..  asisstant kang . " he addressed her ,  to which jaehee replied with a tentative " yes ,  mr. han ? " 

" i was thinking ,  how about you sit this one down ?  i think i can handle the meeting on my own ,  you can stay back in the office to catch up on anything ,  or take a leave if you want to . "  he said coolly .  jaehee stared at him with incredulous eyes ,  as if waiting for him to say 'sike' and then throw another pile of paperwork on her desk . but instead jumin stared back at her ,  waiting for a reply .

" i ..  i guess i can do that . " she replied without wasting a second ,  were he to change his mind , and instantly fled from the desk to collect her stuff . 

jumin proceeded to stride out of the building ,  and headed over to the limo that was waiting for him . the headquarters of edgar internationals weren't too far from the C&R's building ,  so it didn't take much time for jumin to reach the building . 

unlike C&R ,  the headquarters of edgar internationals were less sleek and more modern ,  with their abstract blocks and the colour combination of white ,  black and beige giving the onlookers a clear hint of the creativity of the work they did . 

however as soon as he was about to step in ,  he saw mr. shizuka storming out of the building with ophelia in tow , holding his bag . she called for him   and nervously he made a u turn to collect the bag before skipping over to his car with quick steps and zooming off . everything seemed to have happened in a blink of an eye ,  and jumin just stood there ,  still stunned .

it was the sweet voice of ophelia that pulled him back to reality ,  as she snapped her fingers in front of his face ,  " hey !  earth to jumin ! " jumin looked down at her when she called him by his name  ( perhaps for the first time―in person . )

" what was up with him ? " he asked ,  face confused . ophelia gave him a dazzling smile ,  " he and his wife's been expecting ,  the call was from his wife . apparently she's due . "  jumin replied with an understanding nod ,  finding it hard to cloak the disappointment as he spoke ,  " so  ..  shall we reschedule the meeting some other day ? "

ophelia nodded ,  giving him a shrug with a look on her face that said 'seems like we've got to' ― however ,  the light bulb ahead her head moment was far too apparent on her face the next second ,  as she questioned .

" on a side note ,  are you free today ? "