━━━━ chapter five.

JUMIN HAD NEVER had so much fun in his life before ; never did the corporate heir think a simple movie and café ( date , he wished to add , but wasn't quite sure if he was qualified to yet ) could be so entertaining . ophelia was a good listener and asked a lot of questions , she asked for his opinion on her favourite parts of the movie and was so interested in hearing what he had to say , without actually having any selfish gains from doing so . it made him oddly happy ( and extremely chatty , something he felt a little embarrassed about later . )

jumin could easily say he had the time of his life and did not regret taking a day off even a little . he was welcomed by silence when he entered the penthouse , broken by soft purring of elizabeth the third who came to rub against his leg as if saying hello . jumin kneels down to pet elizabeth , but even her soft meowing couldn't dull the overwhelming emptiness of the penthouse .

he felt guilty when he checked the numerous emails and documents attached with them regarding the work he had so promptly ignored today , flooding his phone among the notifications from the RFA chatroom which were mainly assistant kang being perplexed over his behaviour . then there was zen who was criticizing such behaviour , stating how spoiled he was to leave his work on others and skip the day . nothing out of the blue considering zen's dislike for him , but it was assistant kang's reaction that made him think .

he wasn't acting so odd .. was he ? a day's leave wasn't something that was so uncharacteristic of him ?? or was he perceived so boring and dull ?? was that how ophelia thought of him too ? – for some reason , the thought bothered him .

while he was thinking so , he received a text from the woman in question , emojis and all : hihi ! I just got home , and I don't know why I felt like I should tell you this . after all , you were so insistent on dropping me off :P

and just like that , all the doubt ( and the concern for the work he'd missed out on ) went out of the window as jumin's hand automatically reached out to call the girl—a bad move , his head reprimanded at the sound of her dial tone—but it was too late to back off now .

" . . . hi , " his voice was oddly small to his own ears . there was a melodious laughter on the other side of the phone , and unbeknownst to him , jumin found himself smiling .

" hello jumin , " she replied , the sound of his name in her voice making his stomach do a very unfamiliar , very uncomfortable ( in a peculiarly pleasant way ) ballerina flip .

" hi ophelia , " he found himself repeating with a sigh , clearing his throat immediately at the lame response . " ahem , I called because – I wanted to hear your voice , " he admitted honestly .

ophelia stayed silent for a moment , making jumin panic – he didn't say anything weird , did he ? – but her pause didn't last long , much to his relief .