Chapter 19

(A few days later)

John pov~

I smiled as I watched Alexander happily sit down in front of the computer.

He'd gotten considerably better and managed to convince me to let him get back to work. His enthusiasm was pretty adorable as he set up his camera.

While he was testing the lighting I noticed how difficult it was to tell he looked sick through the camera lens. Is that why I'd been surprised when he said he was often feverish.

I let him do his thing, walking into the living room and sitting down on the couch. I decided to call Martha, because why not.

"Hey John! How's it going?"

"All good."

"Cool. How's it going with your boyfriend?" She seemed a little upset that he was my boyfriend again.

"Martha, we've been over this." I sighed.

"Boyfriend? Who has a boyfriend?" I heard James in the background. (James autocorrected to Hamens holy shit)

"Do I tell him?"

"Sure, why not?"

"John has a boyfriend."

"He does? Cool!"

"John has a boyfriend?" Henry joined in.

"John got back with his boyfriend?" Mary asked.

"What's going on?" My heart stopped as I heard my dad's voice.

"John has—" James started, before being muffled by another one of my siblings.

"John has what?"

"A bird." Martha covered. "John got a bird."

"Really?"

"Yeah." I went with the lie. "His name is..." All I could think of was Ducky, but that would be even dumber on an actual bird. "Kitty."

"Wow." Martha scoffed. "Great name you got there bud."

"Shut up." I hissed. "It was all I could think of."

"Mhm, great."

I jumped when Alexander sat down next to me.

"Hey, have you seen my blue sweater?" He asked.

"I'm on a call." I replied, muting myself.

"Who you calling?" He asked, sprawling across my lap.

"My family."

"Can I talk to them?"

"No."

He looked a little hurt and I felt bad. "I'm sorry babe, but my dad butted in the conversation and I haven't come out to him."

"Ok, well in that case I'm your very straight, totally-not-bi-at-all friend." He gave me a smile that was clearly an attempt at a straight smile. (I refuse to believe a straight guy would smile at another guy the same way said guy's boyfriend would, so yes. Straight smiles :] <these things) and I gave in.

"Fine." I sighed, unmuting the call and putting it on speaker.

"John? Where'd you go?" James asked.

"That's James."

"Ok."

"Who you talking too?" Mary asked.

"Oh umm..." I looked at Alexander.

"I'm Alexander, John's friend." He winked at me and I blushed.

"Are you John's boyfriend?"

I looked at Alexander. He had his hand in his mouth was clearly trying not to laugh.

"N-no." I stuttered.

Alexander started coughing loudly and I looked at him, torn between talking to my family and taking care of my sick boyfriend. I opted upon taking care of my sick boyfriend and hung up.

I got up to get the medicine, a glass of water and a thermometer.

I came back to Alex holding my phone and staring at it like he was trying to answer all of life's questions.

I handed him the medicines and a glass of water and he passed me my phone. After he downed the water, I gave him the thermometer and he plug it under his tongue, waiting for it to beep before taking it out.

"98.6F." He read. "So... a fever. Not news to anyone, thermometer."

I laughed and toon it from him. "Why were you staring at my phone like it was some great unsolved puzzle?"

"Your sister called back. I wasn't sure if it wouldn't be very platonic-no-homo-friend-like if I picked up and explained that you've been spending almost all your time at my house because I have a fever, so I didn't answer." He explained. "But she kept calling. You now have six missed calls."

I smiled and pressed my lips against his forehead, taking my phone. As predicted, Martha called again and I picked up.

"Hey Martha, sorry about that... the... uhh... bird was being... loud?" I shot Alexander a nervous look and he shrugged.

"Can you put it on speaker?" Alexander asked.

I obliged, turning it on speaker right when Martha spoke.

"It's just me and Henry now, stop pretending to be straight." She informed me and Alexander laughed.

"Is that your boyfriend?" Henry asked, clearly referring to Alexander.

"Yup." I nodded, pulling said boyfriend into a hug.

—~•~—

"That went surprisingly well." I commented after hanging up.

"What were you expecting?" Alexander asked me.

"I expected Martha to yell at you."

He went silent and looked away. "I'm still sorry about that."

"Don't be." I noticed his phone was vibrating and I picked it up, checking the what they were from. "Well, YouTube's glad you have you back."

He smiled. "Yes, they love me." He said, doing a little spin and mock fainting into my arms, then coughing.

"You're insane." I told him.

"You love me though." He replied and I smiled, running a hand through his curly hair.

"Yes I do." I smiled.

He grinned back at me, his skin almost back to its usual color, the tint of sickness gone from his eyes.

"You're getting better every day." I commented.

"I'm getting better every day!" He replied in a sing song voice.

"Keep getting better every day." I instructed.

"That's my plan." He grinned and kissed me.

—~•~—

Thanks for sitting through one of the most useless chapters ever... I guess there could be some purpose, but the ultimate goal could have been accomplished without this. Anyways, here are some straight smiles for you to wear whenever (they're reusable and can also be used by allies)

:]
:]
:]
:]
:]
:]
:]
:]
:]