Chapter 22

John pov~
(Yeah, sorry)

I woke up to Alexander shivering like crazy and whimpering, which was a concerning thing to wake up to on any day, and even more so when he had a high fever.

I propped myself up and rolled him over so his back wasn't facing me and noticed that there were tears streaming down his face, as well as a lot of sweat. He whimpered again and yelped, reaching trembling arms out to me. When his hands cane in contact with my face I pulled away, surprised.

He was burning.

I woke him up by prodding and shaking him, and he when he opened his eyes they were glazed with pain.

(Ok, here's the tea🍵: I studied up on yellow fever, which is the thing that killed Rachel, and I'm not sure if you want to hear a detailed written version of the symptoms which include: yellow skin, blood vomit, kidney failure and delirium. Also, once you get it you're immune for life so that wouldn't work even if I wanted it to.
I'm just gonna chalk this up to a regular fever, which I also did some research on and you can die from if your temperature gets high enough, and leave it at that.
I'm sorry if this isn't medically correct, but I don't exactly care)

"Alexander?" I whispered, trying to get his attention.

He turned towards me but halted with a yelp of pain, clenching his fists in the air. I pressed a hand to his forehead and noticed that my earlier presumption had been correct: he was insanely hot.

I got up to get the thermometer and my phone so I could do a little research.

I'd never had to deal with this bad of a fever; my siblings usually were ok after one or two days and they'd never gotten this hot or started yelping in their sleep.

I walked to the bathroom and grabbed the thermometer, worry spiking in my chest. I grabbed my phone too, quickly googling fevers.

 I grabbed my phone too, quickly googling fevers

Ok. 103 F or higher. I read a little further into the article, finding it pretty interesting, then remembered Alexander and scrolled down hurriedly.

I rushed back to the bedroom and sat down on the bed next to Alexander, who wasn't looking to swell. I handed him the thermometer but recognized the fact that he probably wasn't going to take it so I put it in his mouth.

It beeped and I pulled it out.

Crap.

105 F.

That's no good.

My brain melted for a second, overtaken by worry.

Alexander seemed to notice that, because he took my hand in his, but the reminder of his burning skin did not help me process.

I picked him up, and he protested lightly, but he was still too weak and shaky to do much of anything.

I carried him outside and panicked, not remembering if Starii had written that I had a car or not.

(Well, he has a car now)

I rushed to my car and opened the door, placing Alexander in the backseat and getting in the driver's seat cause where else would I drive from? The roof?

—~•~—

I sat in the waiting room, worry chewing it's way through my intestinal system while I waited for the doctor to come back with news of Alexander.

(Here's where it's gonna get really whacky cause I ain't studying hospitals and how they present news, their layout, how they treat their patients, etc... over the vacation.
*proceeds to spend hours looking up different types of ravioli to see which one would fit best* nope. Can't look up hospitals.)

I waited and waited until I was about to screech at someone that I wanted to see my boyfriend.

Which I promptly did, just without the screeching cause I was in a hospital and I'm a decent human being.

"E-excuse me?" I called for the lady behind the desk's attention.

"Yes? How can I help you?" She asked, turning to face me.

"I... umm... can I please uhh... see Alexander Hamilton?" I asked, cursing Starii for giving me her habit of saying um every two words.

The lady tapped at her keyboard then looked back up at me. "Of course. Room 37, floor two."

"Thank you." I smiled politely at her and headed off to the elevator.

I assumed that she would have been informed if I couldn't go see him, and I was right, because the doctor let me in.

He explained that Alexander just had a really bad fever and would most likely be fine, but he'd have to stay at the hospital because his temperature was too high. I thanked the doctor and went to sit by Alexander's side.

He looked up and smiled at me, still looking a little bit pale and clammy, but far better then before. I took his hand and noticed it was still hot.

"D'you hear that?" I asked.

"What?"

"It's very probable that you're completely fine after this."

"Well that's good news."

"Indeed it is." I hugged him and when he wrapped his arms around me I fully realized just how hot he was. "Wow Alexander you're hot."

"Why thank you, I think the sand of you, Laurens." He joked, pulling out of the hug.

I slapped his arm lightly and he chuckled.

"Please don't die?" I asked of him.

"I'm not planning on it." He replied, smiling. "Not today at least."

"Well that's a good start." I pulled him into another hug, kissing him.

—~•~—

Well. This was supposed to be fluffy. I failed, didn't I?

Oh well, that doesn't matter right now, who wants a straight smile?