Chapter 23

John pov~

I went to the hospital the next day, after getting minimal sleep that night.

As I headed to room 37, I started to get anxious.

What if he wasn't ok?

What if he'd died?

It would all be my fault, because I hadn't noticed earlier that he was getting seriously sick.

I calmed my nerves best I could and knocked on the door.

A nurse let me in this time, and I thanked him. I walked to the bed and sat next to Alexander, who looked up at me and smiled.

"Do you think I could record a video here?" He asked jokingly once I sat down. "Hospital Room Tour, no clickbait."

I laughed. "Maybe. I'm sure your followers miss you."

"I'm sure they do." He shot me a very pointed look. "Oh. Mr. Doctor Man says I have to stay here another night, apparently my temperature isn't going down and the only reason I feel any better is the medication."

I looked down for a second before meeting his gaze and smiling.

"But like seriously, do you think the lighting in here would work?" He asked with a more serious tone, which still made me laugh.

I handed him his phone, which I had brought with me because I knew he'd want it.

"Thanks babe." He took it and set it on the table by his bed.

He started coughing and I wrapped my arms around him. Somehow he felt warmer then before, but it was probably just me.

I checked my watch and sighed.

"I think I need to go, my siblings are coming to visit." I told Alexander.

"Can I meet them?" He asked, looking very hopeful.

"Sure, I'll pick them up from the airport and take them to my place to drop off the luggage, then we'll come here, sound good?"

"Yes!" He smiled.

"See you soon!" I got up and walked out of the room.

Alex pov~

I felt guilty about lying but sometimes it's for the best, right?

I'd told John that I was fine, just a little too hot.

That was a lie.

The doctor said my temperature was rising. He said I'll probably make it if my temperature stops going up, but there's still that possibility that I'll die because my body doesn't want to cooperate. And I would not appreciate dying right now.

But still, just in case I did end up not being alive anymore, I should leave a note apologizing, shouldn't I?

I looked around for paper then remembered John had brought my phone to me.

Now I just had to find a way that would ensure the note would only be there if I were to die.

John pov~

I sighed as Mary and James squabbled in the back seat (squabble squabble
-Chidi, the great philosopher) poor Henry sat in between them and Martha was riding shotgun.

"Are we going to your place?" Martha asked, clearly also tuning out our sibling's argument.

"Yeah, just to drop the stuff off." I answered.

"Oh? Where are headed after that?"

"The hospital."

"Why?"