CHAPTER 4: Break out star

"We've been trying to reach you for a week now. I am Jeff, an excutive from lyon music. Someone posted a video of your performance at your wedding on youtube. It has has gone viral and we would like to talk business with you. Could you drop by Lyon music studio at 2pm tomorrow?"

Nancy could not believe what she was hearing. "Yes, I definitely will." Who would have envisioned that a chef turned first lady was going to be a superstar.

She threw the phone in the air and dashed to the bathroom where her husband was taking a shower. She was speaking so fast that Joe could barely comprehend what she was saying. "I've been discovered by a music executive! They want to talk business tomorrow at 2pm," she said ecstatically.

"That's great news," he replied.

*******

Joe cooked breakfast of scrambled eggs, pancakes and freshly squeezed orange juice. His recent plan was to serenade his wife with so much love that she would not have a change of mind. In the same vein, he was solidifying himself as the best husband ever, at least in Nancy's eyes. He was yet to resume full duty at  church, so he had ample time on his hands to do just that.

Nancy had more clothes than the mall, but would always complain she didn't have anything to wear. To expedite their getting ready, Joe handpicked the dress Nancy should wear to the meeting and even the matching shoes, then chose for himself denim jeans and a white polo t- shirt.

On their way to the studios, they radiated with the newly wed glow, acting like two silly teenagers totally in love. One would not even believe that they had fought a day, but they have had their off moments. They were still figuring out how to live as partners without getting stuck, without developing bad habits that might trap them later. So far, they were basking in their own version of happily ever after.

"I am going to be the next Tina Turner. A superstar. I would sing all the love songs," Nancy whispered into his ears. 

"Aaah... I thought the love songs were reserved only for me. I was hoping you would stick with tradition and go with gospel music. It draws crowds." He could tell that she did not really like the sound of that, thus, he did not press further.

There had been an ongoing tradition where pastors' wives double as gospel musicians. Their doing so, attracted multitudes to the church and that translated to more money.

Peeping through the windows, they saw the executives already lined up outside waiting for them. They stepped out of their SUV and greeted Jeff and the other executives.

Jeff gave them a tour of the glittering premises of Lyon music studios. From the entrance to the hallways, every inch of the studios looked totally amazing. Seeing the live room with all the micophones, the mixing boards and the sound engineers, Nancy felt right at home. 

"Who posted the video in the first place?" she asked herself. She quickly grabed her phone, opened the youtube app and typed 'wedding love song by bride'.

"100 million views in less than a week. That's gigantic!"

She looked at the username and realized that it was Kevin's channel. A smile formed at the corners of her mouth. She checked his instagram and she couldn't believe her eyes. "Kevin has 46 million followers on instagram alone?!" His bio read: weird in real life; blazing on the Internet. She clicked on one of his pictures and admired it for almost eternity. His brown piercing eyes, curly jet black hair were all a testament to how handsome he was. Sometimes, she wished that their relationship had worked.

"You're ready to go in." Joe said as he entered the live room ready to drag his dear wife to the negotiation table.

**
"Per our contract, you're to produce 5 albums in a span of 7 years. You will receive 66% of the profit, but we would own all your masters." Joel said in a calm and convincing tone. His assistant slid the contract to the other side to take a look so they iron out a few details.

She did not even read the contract in its full totality before signing it, neither did she have any legal team. All she knew was that she wanted to be a musician. However, she did etablish that she would like to do solely gospel music due to her and her husbands positions in the church. Other than that no other preferences were stated.

Believe you me, there were some hidden issues in those fine prints.

Vote and Comment!