Chapter 17: Loyalty and Plausibilities

The sun rose to its full glory, the birds were chirping melodically and the cool morning breeze swept the room, he rolled over from his bed with a big happy yawn and stretched his legs.

When the scent of sumptuous breakfast hit his nostrils, he forwent brushing his teeth; he picked up his iPhone and tromped downstairs to the table in his PJs. His wife had already prepared a bowl of oatmeal with strawberies and omelets- his favourite.

"Good morning love", Nancy cheerfully greeted.
"Good morning Nancy", Joe responded.

He pecked her on the left check, sat down like a hungry teenage with his rumbling stomach and begun eating- his phone peep as a message from a Juliet flashed on the screen.

It was a whatsapp mesage with the Gps location of the hospital her grandmother was at.

"Who is it?", questioned Nancy with a frown plastered on her face.
"It is a church member, she came and told me of her sick grandmother. I would be going to the hospital to pray for her. She just sent me the location", he explained.

"Okay. You be careful. Be careful of those young girls. And mister you shouldn't even be bringing your phone to the table".

As he switched his phone, he saw her glanced at portion of the newspaper and frown in disapproval. There was an article about, Mr. Antwi, a mutual friend of theirs who was also an active member of the church. It spoke in great lengths about his infidelity.

"Mr. Antwi cheated on his wife. Look, it says so right here", she said pointing at the article.

"Oh wow. Really. I don't even get men who cheat. All women are the same. There is no point in cheating", said Joe in an condescending tone.

"Well, don't be an article", she retorted.
Stacy who was in the kitchen feeding Junior heard everything. She simply couldn't believe how Holier than thou Joe was sounding.

"Pastor holy whore", she muttered under her breath. "The Pot calling the kettle black"

After clearing eveything from his bowl, practically licking it, he bathed, put on his blue shirt and jeans, splashed signature cologne all over him and drove to the hospital.

*******

Stacy absent-mindedly washing the dishes while Nancy cleaned the kitchen counter. Then Stacy turned around and stood akimbo for several minutes contemplating how to easily let the secret out.

After thinking over and over again, she came the conclusion that Nancy deserve to know that Joe once hit on her; if it were her, she would have wanted to know. No more hiding, yet she felt conflicted about doing so.

Was it really worth telling her- she asked herself. Before she knew it, she blurted it out.

"You husband was once overly friendly with me", stacy confessed.

"What? What the hell are you saying?", she asked in unbelief.
"Remember that day....." she carried on trying to explain herself in a calm way.
"That is never true. My husband will never do that.", she countered.

Stacy mentally rolled her eyes at her former babysitter.

"Why are you lying?", she continued "I can see you want to destroy my marriage. Leave right this very moment"

She shouldn't have expected any other kind of reaction from Nancy when she was ignorant of all the shady things her husband was capable of. Maybe if she had made the confession in a different setting, her former babysitter would have got the cue that she meant no harm. But the fact that she had hidden it for so long, made Nancy further question her loyalty and the plausibility of what she spewed.

Stacy had a horrible feeling that if she were to confront Joe, he would deny it in a blink of an eye.

Had she jumped the gun too soon....

She wallowed in regret sensing that her action could possibly sever their friendship and bond forever.

Vote and Comment!