5- The Birthday Party

Chapter 5

In the ballroom, Annaliese finds herself center stage. Ashlyn has dressed her for the evening. "Annaliese, I'm so pleased to see you have been branching out from those fluffy little girl gowns but tonight is special. I have invited the young princes from every kingdom! You could be positioned to be courted by the end of the night!" She had squealed at that, clasping her hands.

Ashlyn had chosen a deep green gown for Annaliese. Embellished with trims of gold and more than a little revealing at the bust, Annaliese did not feel as comfortable as she would have liked. The body fit was similar to the yellow gown she had worn for Zorander's announcement to her Father, except the waist corseted tighter and the neckline scooped deeper. Where a simple bird necklace laid, a symbol of her childhood leaving. Ashlyn insisted she pull her hair off her neck to show off her mostly bare shoulders, but went with loose curls weighing down her back.

Now she stands greeting visitors to her own party and she does not even know their names

The music has started, people are beginning to dance. She has more than a few offers. Many she accepts politely. Some of the princes are old friends. She dances with some, but her eyes never stray far from the ballroom door. If he doesn't come, she will know she has been right all this time: He can't possibly see her as anything more than the child that hangs around his tower. She is smiling at this random prince whom she has just met but there is no smile in her eyes.

As the evening wears on, some of the guests begin to take their leave. Those closest to her can see Sofia is not having the best evening but no one else could ever tell. Her Mother assumes it is due to the grand affair being so large and over-bearing. Her kind-hearted daughter always preferred intimate gatherings over the pomp and circumstance expected of the royal family. Her Father believes she is nervous over the possibility of a prince asking his blessing to court the girl. Ashlyn would know her well enough to tell but she is otherwise engaged, swirling across the dance floor in Dominick's arms, waiting for the official proposal she expects any day...

As Annaliese curtsies her farewell to guests, she notices a flicker of movement down the hall and turns to find Zorander approaching slowly. Annaliese's heart flutters but she is also hurt and a little angry. The party is nearing its end. She bows her head towards her friend but does not walk to meet him, making him come to her for once.

When Zorander sees her, he stops. She is laughing with one of those insufferable little princess who are her so called friends. However, he is enraptured. His feet stop moving for a moment as he takes her in. He slowly begins his approach once more just as she turns and sees him. The smile fades from her lips a little. When she turns to face him her body is rigid and tall. A lady proper in emerald green. When he finally reaches her he stops and... should he bow? He does. It seems appropriate for the event, for his tardiness, and for her stunning presence.

"Good evening, Princess Annaliese, and Happy Birthday." He smiles a little. A nervous, boyish smile. "Thank you, Mr. Zorander." A pause. "I'm glad you could make it."