9- Invitation to a Wedding

Chapter 9

Summer strikes hot and fast. Annaliese's relationship with Zorander on the other hand, continues, never really progressing beyond the flirtations of the first day in the mirror. However, she is ever grateful for each moment they steal to be together. Usually at the end of the day, Zorander is often the last person Annaliese sees before bed.

Most evenings they discuss the magic he has learned. Sometimes it seems he has tedious boring days. Other days it's as if the council is preparing him to go to war. Regardless of the spell or potion, it is obvious Zorander has grown in his power and confidence.

Later in the day, Annaliese enters the dining hall for lunch and finds her whole family. Talking and looking over the guest list for Ashlyn's wedding, now only 2 months away.

"Oh good, Annaliese, I'm sooo glad you're here!" Ashlyn greets her sister, "Take a look at this guest list and make sure I haven't forgotten anyone important!"

Annaliese looks over the list and sees all the names she expected royal families that she knows and does not. Continuing to look over the list.

"You forgot Mr. Zorander."

"Oh, Annaliese, he works for the throne. We may as well invite Constable Ivan."

"But you have Fabian here." She points to his name on the scroll.

Queen Aramina speaks up. "Annaliese, Fabian is practically family. Right hand of your father"

"I know... I mean I'm glad you included him I just think Mr. Zorander is..." She has no idea how to finish it without blurting out some ridiculous emotional attachment and revealing her deepest truth. Instead she looks to their father and appeals to his pride.

"I mean Mr. Zorander is such an important figure to the kingdom, especially now with his time at the council. And you know King Kieran's royal sorcerer will be there..."

"That is true enough" King Randolph considers. "I agree. Ashlyn, why don't you add Zorander?"

She sighs, "If you say so, Daddy. It's not as if I have a limit on guests anyway. Annaliese, do you know where I can send the invitation."

Annaliese knows exactly. "Oh just give it to me and I can send it. I know how to get in touch while he's away."

In thought, Annaliese is delighted. She will see him! Well, I guess I can already see him, she thinks. But HEAR him... Touch him... She shivers a little. No one seems to notice.

*********

That evening, Annaliese bounces down the stairs with a book. She lights the lantern and settles on the bed, keeping an eye on the mirror. He isn't in his room yet. She hopes this isn't one of those days, where his work keeps him away.

Some time passes and Annaliese is dosing on Zorander's bed lightly. She has fallen asleep here often, finding it a lot more comfortable than her Princess chamber. She doesn't notice him enter the room.

Across the world, Zorander is exhausted. The days are long here. Yet as tired as he is, looking at her at the end of the day is his blessing.

Tonight, he slowly slides the robe off his shoulders and looks to the mirror immediately as he enters. And there she is. Sleeping on his bed no less. He likes the look of her there. He can imagine walking across the stone floor and climbing in next to her. Snaking an arm around her and nuzzling his face into her warm neck.

It has taken a massive amount of self-control to keep their relationship "proper". She flirted hard in the beginning and his willpower nearly lost the battle. How could he deny this impossibly gorgeous and intensely clever girl?...... Because he rather enjoys having his head attached to his neck.