19- Light

Chapter 19

Annaliese's heart is light. More than it has been in ages. She made a decision last night and she is on her way to tell Zorander now. Daniel is already aware. He hadn't reacted quite like she hoped.

"You can't do that, Annaliese."

"Sure I can. I finally feel like myself. I know the best thing is to be honest."

"Annaliese, you know I want you to be happy but, I'm not sure this will turn out the way you want. I really like..." he looks around carefully and lowers his voice. "I really like Zorander but father already said no once. You need to convince him privately first, please." He had nearly begged her. 

*****

She runs into the tower and locks the door behind her. It's quite early and Zorander is not in this workshop. With a mischievous grin, she tiptoes down the stairs.

She finds him exhausted, sleeping off a night of keeping her satisfied.  She crawls onto the bed and places a kiss on the side of his mouth. Then his cheek. Then his neck. Then his earlobe. Working her way slowly to all the sensitive, delicate places on his face.

A slow smile starts to spread and he opens one eye sleepily. He breathes out a quiet, "Good morning, Princess", before taking her in his arms and pulling her down to him.

She giggles and cuddles down beside him, resting her head on his bare chest, playing a finger across his skin by her face.

"Guess what today is."

"It's your birthday. Don't try to trick me. I've never forgotten it."

She smiles because she knows it's true. "I didn't think you had. Just reminding." She lifts her face and looks at him. "I'm going to tell them tonight."

"You're going to tell who what?" He yawns and stretches a little.

"I'm going to tell everyone I'm going to marry you."

Zorander starts and bolts upright in bed, nearly sending the petite princess to the floor. "What do you mean you're going to tell everyone?" 

Annaliese sits up and laughs a little. "Oh, Zorander, my Dad might not have liked the idea at first but he really likes you." She smiles her brightest smile. "And besides, I'm not giving him a choice. If he wants me to be the queen, which he really needs me to be, he will just have to accept it." She says it so matter of fact, Zorander can only stare at her.

He shakes his head. "I don't think that's a good idea, Annaliese"

She frowns. "I'm going to be with you. And if they don't accept it I'm giving up my crown. They can figure out who will rule after Dad. I told you I would do anything and I meant it. Did you?"

He smirks a little in spite of everything. "You want me to burn down the kingdom?"

She laughs and hugs him. "My way is a little nicer don't you think?"

Zorander pushes her away just a little and looks at her as seriously as he ever has. "What if he forbids it? I mean really forbids it? Do you know what he could do to me? I always knew I could end up with my head on a spike because of you, and I'm nearly willing to pay that price, but that will throw a wrench in your wedding plans, what with me having no head." He swallows hard, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down.

"He won't dare. Anyway I've already thought about that." She waves it away, "I'm going to pack a bag and so are you. Anything happens, you can just apparate us out of there and we're leaving." She hadn't told Daniel that part, thinking it better he not know.