Chapter 1: What's inside / Opening up

Virgil unlocked the door. The sweet scent of pies filled his nostrils as he stepped in the shop. He took a deep breath and sighed. Memories came flooding back as he made his way to the kitchen. But now was not the time to get distracted by nostalgia. It was time to start preparing for the day. Gingerly, he took out the sugar, butter, and flour from the cupboard. Virgil poured the flour onto the table and mixed it around with his hands. It was soft to the touch, and perfect for making a perfect pie. Slowly but steadily, his hands worked wonders with just those 3 ingredients. Sugar, butter, and flour. Everyone always asked Virgil what was inside those pies that made them so unique and delicious. "What's inside?" they always asked. How could he answer that question easily? It was a simple question, but to Virgil it felt more than he could say. More than words could say. What's inside, then? Virgil's answer: His life. His whole life was in those precious pies, baking in the kitchen.

The ringing of the doorbell attached to a little hook on the door jolted Virgil from his reverie. " Oh, good morning, Remy, didn't see you walk in." Remy greeted Virgil with his usual " 'sup" and moved to the counter. " What's the special pie today, V?" Not looking up from his work, Virgil replied, "Deep shit, blueberry bacon." Remy scoffed. "Deep shit?" Realising his mistake, Virgil mentally slapped himself in the forehead. " I MEANT DEEP DISH! Sorry, Remy," he said with a sheepish grin on his face. Remy rolled his eyes and chuckled. Once again, the ringing of the tiny bell interrupted their conversation. Their co-workers, Logan and Patton, walked in, chatting away as usual. "Good morning, babes," Remy greeted them with a smirk. "Good morning Remy. Good morning, Virge." The four of them prepared themselves for another long day at work. Logan adjusted the tables to be aligned perfectly, while Patton made sure the diner's counter looked presentable. (he also snuck a few bites of Oreos from the counter but wiped the crumbs clean afterwards) After that, someone flipped the sign from 'CLOSED' to 'OPEN', and their first customer walked in minutes after. This was it. They were ready to start the day.