Chapter 8: It Only Takes A Taste

Before entering the doctor's office, Virgil sucked in a huge ball of air, preparing himself for the next awkward interaction with Dr Roman Pomatter. He hated social interaction. The anxiety of having to deal with a stranger was just unbearable. Opening the door, he found the doctor watching puppy compilations on YouTube instead of working and tried his best to stifle a laugh. "Umm.. Excuse me...?" Roman spun around hastily as his face flushed red in an instant. "Oh! Um, sorry!" He smiled sheepishly, trying to hide his computer screen with his body. "I-It's okay." Virgil smiled back shyly. "So, how have you been? Doing great? Baking more pies?" "Um, yeah." Virgil took a seat on the patient's chair while the doctor scooted over to close the door. "Y'know, the pie you made the other time was phenomenal." Dr. Pomatter noted with a goofy smile on his face and Virgil thought he saw a drip of saliva at the ends of Roman's lips. "Oh." "Yeah! Hey, y'know what's funny?" "Wh-" "You sitting here, in your waiter's uniform... you remind me of someone." Virgil looked down. Shoot. He had forgotten to change when he got home. "He was a guy I once knew, god, he's probably well in middle age now," Roman continued. "Probably 41 or 42 this year, I think?" Virgil felt his cheeks burn a little. "Uh, thank you?"

"OH MY GOD. NO NO NO NO NO." The doctor's eyes lit up in realisation. "Wha-" "He was also a waiter at a shop that I used to frequent quite a lot, nice teeth, small hands, snuck me goodies when I couldn't afford them..." Virgil looked down shyly. His fingernails seemed so much more enticing and less awkward than facing Dr Pomatter right now. "He was sweet to me... Definitely reminds me of you." The doctor said, not noticing how his patient's cheeks radiated a pink glow. Virgil smiled, but his expression was quick to change as he let out a sigh. "Oh, well, nobody really notices me that way, so..." "Someone did, right?" Virgil shot his head up at the comment. Really? He thought. How many times do I have to tell him that? Then his eyes met Roman's dopey expression. Virgil convinced himself it looked stupid, but that was not what his instinct told him. As quickly as he looked up, he tilted his head downwards in embarrassment. "Y'know, b-because you have the baby. A-Amirite?" Roman raised his eyebrows and continued to smile in his unique way, letting out a small, quick laugh. The air stood still with the scent of awkwardness and discomfort for a few seconds. Dr Pomatter cleared his throat, breaking the silence. "Anyways, I remember he'd make the pies fresh everyday, like you. But I must say that if pies were books, yours would be Shakespeare's letters!" The over-excited doctor gushed on. "HOW DO YOU DO IT?!" Virgil flinched at this. "Sorry." A silly grin was plastered on Roman's face. "Anyways, you remind me of him... but better!" Roman plopped down in the patient's chair beside Virgil with a dreamy sigh, unaware of the somewhat uncomfortable expression that was printed on Virgil's face. Virgil looked down, his face turning redder than beetroot. Clearing his throat, he said, "Well, that reminds me of a thing me and my dad used to say when we baked, I guess." "What did he say?" asked Roman, looking more and more like an annoying, cute puppy. Virgil had to clear his throat again. "Well, he used to say, 'Virgey, you can tell a whole story with a taste.' It's kinda cringey, I know." "Nononono, that's exactly what I mean!!" Roman exclaimed and looked as if he was ready to get up and dance around the room. "I mean, like, the pie was so good, that when I was chewing it in my mouth, the flavours mixed and melted together in a whole... harmonious harmony." Virgil had to resist the urge to let out an awkward laugh. "I could even hear sirens singing in my ears! That thing that you made, was truly something special. One bite, and I'm immediately craving for more." What looked like a faint smile was imprinted on Virgil's lips. His eyes... they sparkle so much when he's excited... NONONONONO. He shook the thought away. "... Like I was being carried away or... intoxicated, like I was under some kind of magic spell." Virgil genuinely smiled for the first time. "I mean, yeah. It only takes a taste, am I right?" Roman grinned. "Sometimes one bite is more than enough."

ITS FINALLY DONE 

Thank you so much for the likes and stuff aaa