Dio x f!Reader | Under the Sea

Requested by randomgirl713
Category: Fluff
Word Count: 2,238

------

Once nighttime set in, the number of people at the docks always lessened by a large number. The only ones left hanging around were fishermen who preferred the dark and groups of families or friends enjoying the water. You, however, were a special case.

After walking around the docks for a few minutes, you found the most deserted area and pulled off your backpack and bathing suit cover. Goosebumps rose on your skin when you slipped into the cool water, but you adjusted in no time. Next to come off was your shorts, leaving you in a bathing suit top. Your legs then morphed into a your stunning (color) tail. You submerged yourself below the surface and took off from the shore at lightning speed.

Being half-mermaid came with many perks; the worlds of land and sea were both places you could freely explore. The island you lived on and the ocean around it were etched into your mind as clearly as a map.

And that's why the dark object on the ocean floor startled you.

You halted to a stop, staring at it with wide eyes. What little moonlight filtered through the water casted a single beam onto its rectangular surface. It seemed to beckon you to approach it. You cautiously swam toward it, your eyes never breaking away from it. When the object was within arm's length, you circled it a few times, taking in any details that caught your attention. It had a band of ornate design all around it; in the middle of it on one of the longer sides was a latch and a word engraved into gold: DIO.

The name didn't ring any bells. You subconsciously touched the smooth wood, and then it struck you--this was a coffin.

"DIO" must be the person inside.

Grimacing, you pulled your hand away. You were about to continue on and try to forget about the coffin when a soft noise came from inside it. A soft knocking noise. Goosebumps stood up on the back of your neck, and a shiver unrelated to the water's temperature ran up your spine. The knocking persisted, gradually turning into loud, muffled thumps. Your heart raced. Without thinking, you reached out and undid the latch.

Water flowed into the coffin before the heavy door opened. A person swam out of it, their blonde hair swishing with the flow of the water. They took a look at you, the darkness of the water obscuring their features, before swimming up toward the surface.

No longer quite as dumbstruck, you propelled yourself to their side and guided them to the surface at an angle. You weren't sure if this depth would cause decompression sickness, but you didn't want to risk it. Once the two of you broke the surface, the stranger took a deep breath of air. He shook the water from his hair, some of the droplets splattering onto your face.

"Hey, watch it!" you hollered, not sure why you really cared since you were already drenched.

He froze and, for the first time, took a good look at his rescuer. A slow smile spread across his lips. "Good evening, my lady."

Your jaw dropped. "You just came out of a coffin at the bottom of the ocean, and the first thing you say is 'Good evening'?!"

A deep laugh rumbled from his chest. "I'll admit it's quite bizarre."

Once the two of you were back to shore, you dug through your backpack for a towel and handed it to the man. As he dried himself, you sat on the dock and wrapped the bathing suit cover around your body. When your tail morphed back into your legs, you quickly slid on your shorts and stood. At once you were met by the man's burning amber gaze.