Scrupulous

(Following: "Tranquil" You chose to try to swim to the surface.) 

Murky water filled your mouth as you fought your way to the surface. No way would you stop and wait this one out! There was no way you could do that! You aimed yourself upward for the surface -- a surface you could no longer see -- and frantically kicked for the top. 'Almost there. Almost there. Almost there. Almost there.' You repeated to yourself, even though you had no idea how far away from the surface you really were. You could only guess. 

It wasn't long before your muscles began to ache and your lungs began to burn. You needed to preserve your energy, your strength; but you also needed to reach the surface so you could BREATHE!  After a long battle against the current, you finally reached the top, hand piercing through the surface of the water to grab hold of the air you would be breathing soon. Only.. you wouldn't. Another wave of pebble filled water crashed down on top of you, pushing you further down and at the mercy of the unforgiving currents. 

You thought you could make it. You thought that if you fought hard enough, you could win... But you couldn't. Fate dragged you down, and pretty soon your body discarded itself, sucking in the very water you needed to escape in order to survive. 

You died. 

[The End]  -8/3/2020

(Sorry it was so short, well, I guess what else was I supposed to put there? But, anyways, I haven't updated in a while. Sorry. I recently started writing several different mini stories, all in the same "(HxR)" genre, but like little tiny bite size bits of fantasy. So, I guess if you want to check out some of those, go ahead. 

Anyways! Thanks for 8,000 reads!)

{FRQ: Is the plural word for hippopotamus hippopotamuses, or hippopotamai?}