Chapter Five

The Hidden Palace

Lany jumped towards Liona's lifeless body, all but too late, and wept silently. The others were too stunned to do anything but watch Lany. Gregory slowly approached Lany, but Lany stopped him, saying, "we'd better watch our step from now on. I've got a keen eye, so I'll lead us from now on." Lany unfastened a talisman from Liona's belt and slowly delved back into the forest. They followed Lany silently, preoccupied with grief that they barely noticed rustling of leaves close by.

When Lany stopped again, they all wondered why, if only for a moment. As the group arranged in a circle, Vikki slid four throwing knives between her fingers, glaring at the trees. Suddenly, the trees seemed to come alive, as creatures slowly surrounded them, pointing arrows and javelins their way. Vikki realized she needed more than four knives and reevaluated the situation. The figures stepped out of the shadows of the forest, showing their identity. They were elves, beings of myth, with tall, slender figures, long hair, and camouflaged armor made from thick leaves and bark. The group silently surrendered as the weapons edged closer. The elves silently bound their hands and drew hoods over their heads. The group blindly followed them through the forest, stumbling over roots and rocks, toward what fate they couldn't, or wouldn't, imagine.

They walked for what seemed to be forever, with breath bated in uneasy anticipation for what was to come of them. The elves stopped them only once to unveil their eyes. Before them was a grand Palace, made of stone covered in moss and ivy, hiding it perfectly. Trunks of trees seemed to hold the stones in place, and the only thing that separated the Palace from the surrounding forest was a deep circular trench filled with eerie water. Lanterns illuminated the entrance, and the bridge that led up to it. They were on a clear path, lined with more lanterns, that led straight for the bridge. They were edged forward by their captors, and they continued, feeling a mixture of terror and awe.

Towering above their heads were two wooden doors, which swung slowly open at their approach. Guards lined the hall as they walked towards the throne. A carpet of moss lined the grand hall, and the wooden buttresses hung high overhead. Along with the eleven sentries, there were several strange creatures who watched as they filed along the hall. There were men and women with the torso of a human and a lower body of a horse, holding goblets of wine. Some satyrs watched curiously too, and spriggans and nymphs glanced with disdain. But directly in front of them was the most powerful being they had ever beheld. Upon the hand carved throne was a giant, with piercing ocean blue eyes, against dark brown skin, with a cascade of a soft, wavy, brown, and blonde beard that reached his massive body. He wore impressive garments, beautifully crafted from the silk of spiders, and on his head was a crown of Lilly of the Valley. On his right ring finger nestled a band of roots which held a brilliant gem.

"Who are you, and why have you come?" His voice was surprisingly soft and gentle but commanded an answer.

"We are...travelers...on a quest," Chris said, hardly meaning to answer. He stepped forward inadvertently.

"A quest? What sort of quest brings humans into my domain?"

"Good sir, we have been asked to retrieve that gem on your finger, though I do not know why." The others in the group bristled. Why was Chris being so forthright?

The Giant King guffawed, sending a slight yet pleasant tremor through the Palace. "Your honesty is refreshing, young man. Do you know what this gem is capable of?"

"No, sir."

"And you do not know why you have been charged to take it?"

"All we know is: it's necessary for the rest of our quest."

"Ah, so this isn't the object that will bring your quest to an end."

"I'm afraid not, sir."

"What then is the goal of your quest?"

"I'm not sure, sir."

"And to whom are you bringing this gem?" The Giant leaned closer.

"His name is Falkaway," Chris answered.

"And what sort of man is he?"

"I...I don't know."

"So, you need my gem to give to a man for a cause you do not know? I'm afraid I cannot allow it. This gem is very powerful, and in the hands of an unworthy, it would be quite devastating. However, since you have been a pleasant guest, I will give you and your friends the option to leave this hall unharmed, and a safe path through the forest will be shown to you."

"We did not go through this damned forest for this! I will not allow Liona to die in vain!" Lany surprised them all with this exclamation, and Lany seemed to immediately regret it.

The king sat back with a sigh. "Very well, if that is what you wish." In that instant, they were grabbed by the guards and were brought down to the dungeons.

The stairs wound down to the depths of the earth, but they stopped twice, once for their belongings to be locked in a storage, and second, to be locked themselves into a cell. As the guard turned the key to lock them from any chance of escape, they all exhaled in frustration.

"Great," Charlotte plopped onto an empty box, "what now?"

"Why the hell did you have to do that?" John pushed Lany irritably.

"Hey, watch it buddy," Gregory crossed his arms, blocking John from getting any closer.

"Alright, let's take a deep breath," Chris said calmly.

"Yeah, we can surely find a way out of here, if we just look," Kim said, looking around the cell with less optimism than her voice had shown.

"Do you really think we're getting out of here?" Richard scoffed. "Besides, if anyone were to blame, I'd say it was Chris."

"Seriously, why the hell did you have to tell him everything?" Charlotte whined.

"I thought it would be a better option then lying or fighting for it," Chris defended himself.

"Lying would have been considerably better," Richard growled, looking down both ends of the stairs, seeing that it seemed to go forever.

"Enough!" Vikki commanded their attention. "Arguing and placing blame is not going to help this situation. We need to stay calm, and then we can work together to figure something out."

"May I speak?" Freddy asked, already calm. Vikki nodded. "It's obvious there have been some unfortunate mistakes but Vikki is right. Chris had no choice but to act on intuition, since none of us had a plan. And Lany's outburst, though troubling, was understandable. Our position seems impossible, but we're a clever bunch. Let's not give up hope yet."