Chapter Nine

A Series of Peculiar Events

A vision of a misty, hazy world slowly shifted into focus. The grey and white world around her whizzed by as she shot through the forest. Wind bristled through her fur on her back, and her paws found footing against the rocks and roots of the underbrush. The clear scent of the open world called to her, and soon she broke out of the forest, sprinting out into the open field, the long grass parting as she bounded through. She was joined by other wolves, and they raced to the top of the cliff. The river dropped off into a waterfall, and she stopped just before the fall. Below was the White Citadel, and a sense of pride swelled in her chest. She turned up her snout and howled at the setting moon. The other wolves joined her, and she broke out into a sprint back into the open field and back into the forest. The other wolves followed her for some time, breaking off one by one, until it was just her and a pup, racing back to the camp.

●●●●●●●●

Alice woke up to the bids calling in the trees. It was surprisingly bright for such an early morning, and she rubbed her eyes, poking the embers and throwing some twigs on. Most of the other members were fast asleep around her, exhausted from the action-packed yesterday. She heard a noise coming from the forest and turned with a start Sean smiled as he carried some kids that had been caught by their traps along with more firewood.

"Good morning," he greeted her. He looked so perfect in that moment, with messy black hair against his tan skin, and his stormy blue eyes shone with electricity. He had dark stubble around his face, which made him seem even more rugged and masculine. She could see the definition of his muscles from the short-sleeved shirt he had changed into. His pearly white smile sparkled as he settled next to the fire near her. She turned and blushed, realizing she hadn't returned the greeting and had instead dumbly stared at him.

"It's strange how beautiful this forest seems to me even after last night. I remember how terrified we all were when we entered, but honestly, after all we've been through, this weather is a treat. I think it's a premonition to the bright future we'll have once were out of here."

She smiled, wishing she could find the right words, wishing she could say anything at all. Her heart thumped in her chest. Social anxiety was nothing new to her, but this was something different.

"These rabbits won't be enough for the group, I'm afraid." He switched the subject. "Think you can help me catch some fish with Richard's rapier?"

She nodded and accepted with a soft word. He smiled and he led her towards the river. He grabbed Richard's rapier along the way as well as his own hunting knife. He offered the rapier to Alice, showing her how to time it perfectly to strike a fish, and then asked for her to give it to him so he could clean and debone the fish.

She was a few paces downstream from him, and he watched as she attempted the trick with a giddy smile. She was thoroughly entertained by this surprisingly fun exercise after all their strife. The water bubbled over her bare feet, and her slender, pale legs rose into shorts she had borrowed from Kim, that was held up with a belt. Her tight fitted green shirt that she had borrowed from Skylar was tucked in and accentuated her slender waist. Her dainty hands grasped the rapier awkwardly, and she thrust it at the water, missing again. Laughing, she turned to Sean and brushed away her flowing raven-black hair from her porcelain face. Her grey eyes shone with a slight green hue.

He laughed and approached, ready to give some extra tips on success, but as he stood but five inches away from her, a strange sound turned their focus downstream. Barreling towards them was a fully grown wolf, barring its teeth, readying to pounce.

Sean grabbed Alice, brought her close, and guarded her with his body. The wolf clawed at Sean's back, rending a yelp from his lips. The wolf skidded past them, then turned to face them again. Sean took the rapier, stood directly in front of Alice, and ordered, "stop!" Somehow, the wolf obeyed, and Sean took a step forward.