Chapter Eighteen

Family Ties

Passing over the bridge, the nine wandered into the city with delight. At first, Kim could only focus on the expert architecture of the buildings around her, spirals towering above her, the windows carved from the stalagmites illuminating from within, speaking of the families that dwelled within.

The city was busy with activity, and all sorts of shops and stores lined the roads. The Tijians were all diverse and interesting, with long, flowy attire, and slender bodies. They were clearly a mix between elves and humans. Kim was even more pleased when she spotted a man manipulating rock in his hand as if it were putty, or a child, who summoned a small fire sprite and began chasing it about. These people all had powers and acted like it was just second nature, and perhaps to them it was. Foreign smells came from the restaurants, and mystic music echoed on the streets.

Then, Kim became slowly aware that the Tijians were staring at them. No, at her.

Suddenly, an old man came up to them, bowed to her and gave her a flower, grinning widely. "It is good you came back, Kyat," and he repeatedly bowed as he backed away. Kim was utterly confused, while the others seemed to get a good kick out of it.

Again, as they were passing stalls of trade goods, another person came up, calling her Kyat, and welcoming her home.

"You're famous, Kim," Skylar laughed.

"Who the hell is Kyat?" Kim asked with a mixture of confusion and irritation. Why was she being mistaken for someone she had never even heard of?

"I was not expecting this," Argon said softly. "I apologize, but I think it best if I take Kim to see the council at once. They will get this settled. Please, do make yourselves at home. Kim, please follow me."

She followed him, and along the way, she was assailed with more and more people calling her Kyat. Argon began to keep them at bay once he realized she was getting irritated for being misidentified.

It took them far too long for them to get to the Council Hall in Kim's opinion, but when they did, Kim followed Argon into the large building.

"Kyat!" A voice called out behind Kim and she turned in frustration.

She was faced by a Draekiin, running straight for her with his arms outstretched! She drew her sword, fiercely ready to fight this new enemy, "stay back, Draekiin!"

"Woah, what in the world, Kyat?" The Draekiin backed away. "Don't say you hate me for not saving you sooner."

"She is not Kyaterina, Jason," Argon came up from behind them. "And he is a friend. Lower your weapon." He looked to Kim.

"A friend?" Kim asked incredulously.

"What do you mean she's not Kyat? I know that soul anywhere," the Draekiin also asked.

"It's her daughter, Jason."

"I'm sorry, what?" Kim asked, shocked, lowering her weapon.

Jason tilted his head to the side, and agreed, "oh, okay, yeah, I see that now. You humans and your offspring are hard to tell apart."

"My mother? I've never even met the woman!" Kim exclaimed.

"I'm afraid it is true," Argon said calmly, "That is why I brought you here. Kyaterina was a prominent member of the council. I was thinking that you might persuade them..."

"Well you thought wrong!" Kim interrupted, furious now, "I don't care who she is or who I look like. I have no mother. So, stop talking about someone who doesn't exist!" She turned and ran out of the building.