Chapter Nineteen

Syrrith

A new day had begun when the glowing lake turned from its soft lavender hue to its bright cyan hue, and soon after, the city awoke to seize the day. Argon now stood over the table which the group was assembled, eating breakfast.

"I hope you have all gotten good hospitality from the Tijians, and though we have yet to persuade them for help, I was hoping you would follow me to meet someone I think might help."

"Who?" Charlotte asked, her mouth full of pastries.

"That will come in time. Do finish your meal, but then find me on the northern side of town."

Half an hour later, they had found Argon, curious as to where he was bringing them. There was a large bridge that spanned across a glowing lake that was connected to the river that surrounded the city. It ended at a spot of land where small benches sat looking toward a strange massive statue. Next to the statue was a smaller bridge that was reaching into the center of the lake. Right beyond the statue, was another island with a strange crystalline structure.

"I would like each of you to touch the Golem one by one, then cross the bridge if it turns," Argon asked.

"Could you be any more cryptic?" Skylar asked sarcastically, and Kim scoffed.

"On that island is the shrine of Syrrith," Argon explained, "I know that some of us are struggling with accepting truths while others need answers. It is my knowledge that Syrrith will give you what you need. Only touch the Golem, and the path will open."

"Well maybe next time don't be so mysterious about it," Skylar walked up and touched the Golem, but nothing happened. She turned and shrugged.

"You have no questions to be answered nor truths to accept. You have no need of Syrrith."

"Well, that works too," Skylar scoffed and sat down on a bench to see if the Golem would work for any of them. Gregory went next, and the Golem didn't move for him either. Then, Chris walked up and touched the Golem. Suddenly, thin strips of a blue light webbed out over the Golem's figure like veins flowing blood from the heart out to the rest of the body. Its face, which was hollow, glowed blue and the Golem slowly stood upwards. It wasted no time and went to grab the bridge and moved it into place. Chris slowly walked over to the island and suddenly, the Golem moved the bridge back into the center of the lake.

"Hey, what the heck?" Kim asked, worried.

"The Golem will move it back when he is done." Argon said simply, watching Chris.

Chris stood unmoving for a long time, staring at the crystalline structure. Then, the Golem woke up again and moved the bridge again, and Chris walked back over the bridge.

"Well?" Kim asked, curious.

"He was right, Syrrith did help," he said simply, sitting down on a bench.

Charlotte and Alice had been able to pass across the lake as well, but Sean and Vikki had not. It was then Kim's turn.

Kim walked up to the Golem and touched it. As with Chris, its veins glowed with a blue light and it was reanimated. It turned and slid the bridge into place, bowed, and waited. She slowly walked over the bridge and the Golem slid it back away. It then shifted into hibernation. Kim was unreasonably nervous. Chris had come back unharmed and unchanged, but she knew something had happened while he was back here.

She came to a large crystal in the center of the island, shining in the hues of a rainbow, glittering and glowing. It was beautiful and massive. As she approached, an ethereal figure stirred within the crystal and stepped out. The spirit of a large, graceful dragon, glowing bright cyan and translucent to the point where the scene behind could be seen through it. The dragon towered over Kim and bowed its head in greeting. Kim returned the sign of respect with the knowledge that this was the spirit of Syrrith.

Kim was in awe of Syrrith's powerful and graceful being. The dragon had an angular face, like most dragons, with a crown of horns above her head, but her body was sleek and slender, winding around and tapering into a tail. She had massive wings which had opened as Syrrith had appeared but were now folded neatly against her body. Kim looked at the crystal behind Syrrith and knew somehow that the crystal had formed around Syrrith's corporeal form.

"What happened?" Kim asked, suddenly sad for Syrrith's fate.

"Do not fret, child," Syrrith's soft voice filled her head, but the dragon's mouth didn't move. "It was of my own doing. The gems which sprung from my scales gave life to Beings, and for a time, it was good. Until the Beings found that returning to the source by touching the gems, that power would be theirs to wield. They took the power like they took flame and used it. There was good, but there was also greed. Slowly, the Demon edged his way into the hearts of my children. Soon, his Taint corrupted the deep cities of the Mountain and threatened to spread to even the land above."

"Knowing that good was still reigning on the People of the Land, I couldn't allow the Demon to Taint all that was good. I sacrificed myself here, and the area around is purified, protected from the Taint. And from the crystalline structure you see now, a sword was formed. The only weapon that would chase the Taint away once and for all. I called on a People of pure heart and brought him here, giving the sword to him, and blessing him with Light."

"With him, I was able to protect the People of the Land as well and kept the Demon and his ilk within the depths. There has been an uneasy peace, but now I fear the Demon has his own weapon now and threatens all things good once again."

"Is that why we were sent here? My group and I?" Kim asked.

"You were brought here because you are From me. You wield the power of good within your heart. Your mother would be proud."

"My mother..."

"Yes, there is conflict in your heart for her. I ask that you focus on your quest first, and your heart will find peace. However, you should know she came to visit me too, once. It is from her that you received power, though the gem had to awaken it. It will be because of you that her people will follow you and your leader into the depths to attempt to quench the Demon's uprising."

"You mean Chris? He's the leader you meant?"

"He is From the one with the sword. And the sword obeys him now. The Light will guide his hand, but I am afraid. The Demon, in his cunning, has planned something, I fear. He knows how to twist People's hearts into darkness. He knows how to persuade them with empty promises. I fear his weapon has yet to be brought forth."

"We have been told of a Draekiin called Mehnkahei, is he not the weapon you mean?"

"Draekiins are the ilk of the Demon, though I have seen some good in them, they are easily shaped for his will. This Draekiin you speak of may be the weapon, but I know not. There is far too much darkness in the depths for me to see."

"Then we'll have to Light up the way for you."

Syrrith seemed to chuckle and lowered her head down to Kim's level. "That you do, child. But first, touch my head, and the knowledge of your power will be for good."

Kim touched Syrrith's ethereal head, and suddenly Kim grew into a large wolf, with powerful claws and bite. She knew now how to call upon the wolf whenever she pleased. Kim shifted back, and Syrrith pulled away and moved back into the crystal.

Kim returned to her friends and, with newfound determination, said, "let's go talk to that council."