Part Three: Chapter Thirteen

The Mountains

In the early morning, the group had woken up from their rooms that had been offered to them, and was brought to a meeting with the old man who had given them the quest, a man they now knew was named Falkaway.

"I hope you have all enjoyed your time in Ilyum," Falkaway said after the last person sat down at the table, "but now I'm afraid business will have to resume. I understand that your time in the forest was not the easiest, and we have had some unfortunate losses. However, I am also aware that the gem has been found and given to one of the Royal Guards for safe keeping. Though this had not been my plan, the gem is in good hands, and it has done its part in the play for now. I only hope that it has blessed someone at this table with some of its power. Otherwise, I am not sure how far you will all survive in the next portion of the quest.

"I ask that you all continue your quest despite the misfortunes you have already been through. Believe me, this task is utterly necessary for the survival of mankind, and indeed, of the whole world. But before I get too dramatic, let me explain. Your task will be to delve into the Mountains, where the man known as Mehnkahei resides."

There was a loud murmur within ranks, but Master Falkaway raised his hand. "Mehnkahei, I'm sure you know, was the general of the Draekiins, the enemy that the Empire fought against during what is called the Untold War. He is a very dangerous man, and capable of much evil. I have personal experience with him and his kind and wish to rid the world of his ilk before too late. I know personally that he is currently raising an army much larger than ever before and plans to send his ilk upon the land to destroy all. I know this, because I was taken as a prisoner during the Untold War and had been, until very recently, imprisoned in his Fortress. I came back to this city in hopes of finding the same Gaëtano who had led our efforts against him during the Untold War, but had found his throne empty, and the Steward more interested in power and money than an old man's tales of war. He did not heed me, so I searched for a group who would be daring enough to accomplish this task. I hope that despite your tragedies within the forest, you will still answer my quest. As an incentive, however, I can offer you great rewards, gold, power, status, any thing your heart could desire. These people offered the Empire to a general who sent the enemy back into the Mountains. Just think, what would they do for a group of people who thwarted the enemy once and for all?"

"I think it is important that we decide that for ourselves," Chris said.

"Please decide quickly, there is no knowing how soon Mehnkahei's army will be ready for an attack. We must act before that happens and use the element of surprise to thwart him. If you decide to continue, carriages will be waiting for you at the stables near the northern gate," and Master Falkaway bowed and left.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm going," Gregory sat back. "We've come this far, and I can't let my friends die in vain."

"You're right, we can't let them down," Skylar agreed.

"We have to do this for our families," Chris said, and Sean nodded.

"And for the good of the Empire," John puffed his chest nobly.

"I can't very well let you all get yourselves killed, so I'm going too," Vikki said, tossing her knives in the air.

"Well, its not like I have anything better to do, right?" Kim scoffed, "plus I want to see where this ends."

"And I can't leave my friends," Alice shared a smile with Kim, then with Sean.

"There is much to learn in the Mountains, someone has to make notes," Freddy said, and they chuckled, knowing he was secretly brave as well.

"For experience," Richard shrugged.

"Well, if we're all going, I might as well. Plus, I've got John," Charlotte smiled and nudged John, who seemed displeased, but Charlotte missed it.

"Well, it seems we're all agreed, then. Let's see this to the end," Chris said with determination. The eleven filed out of the room, and by ten o'clock in the morning, they had assembled into four carriages towards the looming Mountains.

It was well into the evening when the carriages stopped, and they all filed out, with Argon standing by for their arrival. The group looked warily at the massive mountains, and toward the path that wound through it. Fang skipped to Argon's side when he saw him, and Argon pet the pup with a slight smile. He then looked at the group and gave them one last note, "this path will lead you to the Cavern Expanse inside. There may be a couple of forks along the way, but I'm sure you will find your way. If you do need help, I've gotten this tyke to remember my scent. Just send him back, and I will come find you."

"Why don't you come with us?" Kim asked, and Argon looked at her as if he were seeing an old friend. She was perturbed by his gaze, but the expression soon faded away.

"I would, but I have some pressing business I have to attend to. If I am needed, though, I will come. That, I can promise you." He bowed and whistled for his horse, which he immediately jumped on and rode away.

Chris picked up his walking stick and begun the long and arduous hike up the mountainside, with the others following in tow.

After about an hour, the world seemed distant, while the air around them was grey with slight fog, and it seemed that the Mountains rose for forever.

"Can we stop? My feet hurt; here, can you take this for me?" Charlotte whined, handing her pack to John.

He swiped it away in fury, "you know what? I've had just about enough of you. What the hell are you doing here? Why the hell didn't you just stay in the city? Instead of whining in my ear all day. I don't care to hear it anymore. We're all walking the same path, but do you hear anyone else complaining? No. So shut up and suck it up or go back to the city where you can play pretend at being a princess." He pushed past her and stomped ahead of the group. Everyone was uncomfortably quiet, having been surprised by such an outburst, but when Charlotte grabbed her pack in submission, they resumed their trek.

Most of the rocky path was straight forward, winding through the rocky terrain, with a few side paths that obviously ended in cliff sides. But when the moon was high in the sky, they came to two paths, one that seemed to reach all the way to the top of the mountain, and the other that wound around to the side, leveling off.

"Let's go this way first," Chris pointed nonchalantly down the path that leveled off and began walking that way.

Kim startled him by blurting out, "Are you kidding me? This is how you're going to do this? What makes you so sure this is the right way? And anyway, who died and made you King? Whatever happened to democracy? You can't be certain this is the right way, and you have no right just telling us what to do and expect us to blindly follow you."

"I'm sorry," he said simply, commanding her attention.

"Excuse me?"

"For whatever I did or said to make you suddenly so angry at me. I'm sorry. But unless you have some reasoning to choose one path over the other, I don't see why we shouldn't check this one out first. We're in no rush. There is no monster chasing us. We can take our time and go down a path to see where it leads. You're right, I have no way of knowing which way to go, but my reasoning is, that path seems to continue up, and maybe even over the Mountains. But this one seems to level off, and I think it has better probability of ending in a cave. I don't know." He paused a moment, seeing that she was listening intently. She hadn't meant to be so abrasive. He sighed. "I don't want to be King, Kim." She couldn't begin to imagine how real that statement was.

"Alright," she said softly, though a clash of emotions raged in her mind. "Let's just go." She pointed down the road he had chosen, and he led them down it in silence.

Vikki sighed. She hadn't known how to quell thearguments around her. This tension within ranks would certainly make their journey worse, but it was too late for them to turn back now.