Chapter 28

*Note: This chapter won't be told from Jo's POV because she's unconscious for most of this chapter, but it will be back to normal next chapter.*
"Okay, lets begin." Addison says.
"Addie, I don't care what she says. You save her first. I can't live without her. I need her, and Sadie needs her-"
"Who's Sadie?
"Our daughter. She's 8. And she's been through hell and back, the last thing she needs is to lose her mom. She just got her back. "
"Huh. Alex Karev, father of 2. Well, you will be by the end of the day. let me work." She says, preparing to begin. "Scalpel."
Addison makes the first cut and incises Jo's uterus, and the bleeding is already bad. She's just as clear and confident in the OR as Alex remembered, which helps to assure him that his wife and baby will be okay. As a husband and dad, he had to believe that. But as a doctor, he knows Jo could lose the baby or her uterus, and worst of all, Alex could lose Jo.
Alex sat in a stool beside his wife, holding her hand and trying to ignore the pool of blood that covered the floor. A baby warmer was at the ready, and Alex was prepared to take his daughter as soon as she came out.
"Alright, here she comes!" Addie said, preparing to deliver. But once she removed the baby from her cozy little home of 9 months, it was clear to everyone in the room that she was barely breathing. Addison cut the cord and handed her to Alex, who barely got a chance to admire her before hurrying across the OR to stabilize her.
He cleared her lungs and started CPR, and after 5 minutes, she finally let out a strong cry.
"Thank god." Alex said under his breath. He put on her diaper and swaddled her in a pink and blue blanket like he had done so many times before. But this time, it was different. This time, it was his daughter.
"Hey Emerson, I'm your dad. It's nice to finally meet you." He scooped her up and held her against his chest, and she only fussed a bit before calming down in her father's arms. He admired her eyes that were so dark brown they almost  appeared black, her wisps of brown hair, and her soft pink lips, all of which resembled her mother.
"Congratulations, dad!" Addison says.
"Thanks. How is she doing?"
"Get her down to the nursery. I'll have someone come out and update you in a little bit." The surgeon replied, avoiding the question. Truthfully, Jo was losing blood faster than it could be replaced, and Addie was starting to get nervous. Of course, she would never show it.
Alex gently placed her back into the warmer, and for the entire walk from the OR to the nursery, he didn't stop smiling.
When he reached the nursery, one of the nurses came to register her.
"This one's yours, Doctor Karev?" She asked.
"Yeah. She's pretty perfect, isn't she?" He answered.
"She sure is." She said, putting on her hospital bracelet. It had a code that matched Jo's, so she couldn't be mixed up with another baby. "Does she have a name yet?"
"Emerson Karev. Her mom named her that."
While Alex was fussing over the newest Karev, Sadie was still with Amelia. They were in one of the attendings lounges, and Sadie was really upset.
"Auntie Amelia, I'm scared. I want mommy and daddy," She said.
"I know, sweetheart. I'm sure we'll hear something from them soon. Your dad flew in one of my best friends all the way from Los Angeles to take care of your mom and baby sister. I lived on the beach with her for a while and we worked together, and she helped me, too." Amelia answered.
"What's wrong with my mom?" The little girl questioned.
"Well, when the baby was growing in her belly, there was also something called a placenta, but it's stuck to the inside of her belly, which is making her bleed."
"Placenta Accreta?"
"Yeah. How'd you know that?"
"I get a lot of my parent's old medical textbooks."
Amelia chuckled just as something beeped, startling both of them.
"What was that?" Sadie asked.
"That's my pager." Amy said, picking it up to check it. "It's your dad. He's paging us to the nursery. I think that means we might have a baby. Let's go take a look, alrighty?"
Sadie nodded and grabbed her hand, and together they headed to meet Alex in the nursery.
Sadie pranced into the nursery, in awe of  all the babies and cuteness. She looked around to see if she could spot her new baby sister, but she saw Alex standing towards the corner of the room instead.
"Hey, Sadiebug. You ready to meet your little sister?" He asked, waving her over to the little bassinet she lay in. "This is Emerson." The proud dad said, beaming at the sight of his girls together for the first time.
Sadie slowly approached the baby with a smile, Amelia following close behind and looking almost (but not quite) as excited as Sadie. They were like little kids on Christmas morning, but instead of presents there was a baby, and it was almost 7:00 at night.
"Hi, Emmy. I'm your big sister, Sadie. You might remember me since I talked to you in mommy's tummy every day." She hesitated for a moment, asking, "Can I touch her?"
"Of course. Do you wanna hold her?"
"Can I?" She asked with hopeful eyes.
"Yup. Sit here and I'll give her to you." Alex instructed, motioning to a nearby rocking chair. 
When Alex placed the baby in Sadie's arms, she was nervous, but quickly got more comfortable. A half hour or so later, Sadie was still obsessed with little Emmy, and refused to move a muscle so she wouldn't wake her up. When she did begin to fuss, Alex helped Sadie feed her for the first time. Jo had wanted to breast feed, but that obviously wasn't going to work right now.
Once she was done eating, Alex burped and changed Emerson and put her back to sleep in her little crib.
Alex went back to his spot beside the cradle and Sadie crawled onto his lap, and they fell asleep until about 10:00, 4 and a half hours since Emmy was born and 5 hours since Jo had gone into surgery.
"Alex?" A woman's voice said.
"Huh? I'm up." He said, looking up to see Addison.
"Sorry. I wanted to let you know that Jo is out of surgery."
"How'd it go?" He asked, anxious but trying his best to stay quiet for his two sleeping daughters.
"She lost a lot of blood, but I was able to save her life and her uterus, so there's a good chance she'll be able to carry another child, should you choose."
"Thank you, Addie. For everything."
"I'm glad you called. Now, would you like to see your wife?"
"Please." He said, wanting to get up but remembering there was a child pinning him to the chair. "Sade, can we go see mommy?" He asked quietly.
She just nodded at first, rubbing her eyes, but she sprang to her feet a second later, eager to check on her mother.
Alex took Sadie's hand, and Addie rolled the baby all the way up to the maternity ward, where Jo was recovering.
"So, Sadie, your mom is probably still asleep and she'll be drowsy for a little while from the anesthesia, and we had to open up her belly, so she's got a big scar and it's important that you're very careful when you go near her."
"I know. I had surgery too, see?" She said, pulling down the neck of her shirt just enough to show off her scar. "Doctor Maggie gave me a new heart."
"Alright, ready?" Addison said as they turned the last corner to her room.
As they entered, Jo was just beginning to open her eyes. Alex scooped up the baby and sat at the foot of the bed.
"Hey, beautiful." He said with a smile. "This is our daughter." Alex said, showing her off. As Jo got her first look at her baby girl, Alex felt like he could finally breathe for the first time all day. Because for the first time in almost 24 hours, Alex got to see Jo smile, a smile that could light up the entire night, a smile that he now had three of in his life. And he couldn't wait.

*So I don't usually do authors notes but I just want to say, yay! Welcome, baby Emmy! Sorry if I scared you guys but everybody is okay!*