7 - Red Face

Kiss the Cook – Red Face

‘Why am I doing this again?’ I cringed as I neared hell on earth. Taking a deep breath I opened the pink double doors and was assaulted with rose pedals.

“Welcome” a unison set of voices greeted me.

My eyes narrowed at the group of boys (and one crossdresser). Skulking farther into the room I zeroed on the short brunette.

“Ryota?!” The little devils seemed shocked at my appearance in their territory which would make perfect sense seeing how I want nothing to do with the twins.

“Haruhi.” I spoke calmly despite my urge to run

“Yes?” the doe eyed girl looked at me curiously

Forcing a smile onto my face I said something that shocked everyone in the room.

“I’d like to request you for the next couple of days.”

“What?!”

~~

“Ryota?” Yana knocked on my bedroom door, “Could I come in?”

Looking over at the door from my bed I reply with a short yes. And my older sister entered my overly spacious room.

“Is there something you need Yana?” I inquired brushing some loose strands of hair behind my ear.

“I- I wanted to apologize…” Yana wrung her hands together nervously

“For what?”

“Ryota… You were right. I did always side with the twins whenever you were upset with them. I realize now, a little too late that I shouldn’t have done that. I was never a very good big sister… But you have to understand that there is a reason why.”

“What is that reason Yana?” I stare up at my sister with cloudy dark eyes, “Why did you always side with Hikaru and Karou? I need to know why.”

Yana clenched her eyes shut and muttered just loud enough for me to hardly make out the words, “I can’t… I’m so so sorry Ryota. But you have to understand. They have been confiding in me for years. I can’t just break their trust now. Not after what they’ve gone through.”

“Of course…” I sighed, “I should have realized that you wouldn’t tell me.”

“Ryota don’t be like that! You don’t know anything about the twins!”

“And have I acted like I wanted too?! They have always come to me or you’ve tried to shove their existence down my throat! I do not care about the twins, okay?” pausing to take a few deep threats I tried to calm down, “Yana… All I’ve wanted is to live a normal life. I wanted to grow up, follow my culinary dreams and move away from here. If I knew that scolding the twins when they were younger would get me into this mess I would have never spoken with them in the first place.”

“Don’t say that Ryota…” Yana looked distraught. “I- I know that you’ve never liked the twins. Maybe you never will. But – but don’t – Please don’t say that… ”

“What?” my brows furrowed together in confusion at my sisters emotional state

“Don’t say that you would have never talked to them, ignored their existence. I can’t tell you what the twins went through… But what I can tell you is that the twins don’t deserve that. Ryota you hold the key to their world… Please don’t just throw it away like it’s garbage. Every person gets one key. If you lose it, that’s it. No do-overs.”

Sitting still I tried to process Yana’s words, “So you just came to apologize?”

“No. I’m sure you remember Mother mentioning that she was going to France for an interview about her career, and well… She invited me to go with her and I said yes.”