Chapter 20: Invitation

⚜️ I'd throw away my faith babe just to keep you save....⚜️

Alestia

Anxious.

We were anxious. Sitting in front of us was the dean with a maroon envelope.

"Antonio Corentein. Son of the second in command of the French mafia. Never been too any official meeting. For some reason his invitation was sold in a black market where we bought it off of."

We looked at him incredulously. The police is buying stuff of the black market?

He waved away our looks with a snort.

"Technically we're killing people, granted they are criminals, doesn't change the fact what we're doing is kinda illegal so... "

He trails off, expecting us to get the hint.

Legally doing illegal tasks.

It was fun.

Most times.

But this time, it was serious. Lives could be lost with one wrong step.

"Look, this is a a risky choice. There's no backing out from this. If you want to do this you have to be ready for all consequences."

He looked at us with a grave expression.

"Consequences like death."

We sucked in a breath. It was expected but actually hearing it hit different.

Levi and I exchanged glances. We both knew how much we had to put on stake here. But would that scare us?

No.

It wasn't about courage. This was about revenge.

We weren't doing this to do the world a favor. Kill off a scum to bring peace.

This was personal. Selfish.

And when you do things for yourself.

You always do it better.

"So I'm assuming I can't talk you both out of going?"

We smiled.

"You could try." Levi generously offered with a smile.

The dean snorted.

"Off you go agents, I ain't dumb enough to waste my time. The party's today evening at sharp at 7pm, be ready a limo will be prepared for you both downstairs."

Great. Dressed?

The realization made me freeze for a second.

Definitely not my fault for always opting for t-shirts over dresses right?

This gave birth to a headache. I didn't even have a decent dress let alone one suitable for a high class party.

My face must've shown my distress as both Levi and dean looked at me in confusion.

"I don't have any dress."

I deadpanned.

It was around 10 am now, maybe we could manage a dress.

Just thinking about wearing a dress was distasteful.

It was a dress.

Not comfy at all.

The dean just chuckled.

"You can always go shopping."

My expression mirrors Levi's. Our faces scrunch up in annoyance.