NINE

My dad was surprised that someone offered to teach me. He was even more surprised that someone like Joy agreed. So ge woke me up early the next morning to go to school.

I had put a new note in my school bag the previous day. I walked to the garden and saw SK and Joy talking.

"Hello" SK greeted with a wide smile that made me blush.

"Good morning" I replied.

"Morning" Joy greeted as she sat fown in the cemented chairs.

"Sunkanmi, get lost" Joy said as SK pouted.

"Can I take coaching classes from you too?" SK asked as I laughed slightly.

"Like you need it" Joy said as she smiled slightly.

I stared at her stunned. She was very pretty when she smiled.

"You should smile offend, you are very pretty when you smile" I blurted out as SK turned to me in surprise.

My smile stiffened when I saw how they were both looking at me.

"Ohh, sorry. I was just saying what was on my mind" I said.

"Thank you. SK leave now. She needs full concentration" Joy said rubbing her forehead as SK grinned and walked away.

"Goodluck coach" he yelled.

"Bring out the big note" Joy said as I sat down and brought it out.

"Sketch a timetable. On Mondays, we'll take Mathematics, on Tuesdays, Biology, On Wednesdays, Physics, On Thursdays, Chemistry, On Fridays, we'll take English Language and on Saturdays; will be for questions and all" Joy said as I looked in horror.

"Write the timetable down" Joy said when she noticed I wasn't writing.

"Before classes start, we have an hour depending on the time you get to school. After school, I'll teach you for two hours" Joy continued as I winced.

"Your free periods too, you had better look for me" Joy said as she brought out her Biology textbook.

"So, we have about 45 minutes before class start" Joy said checking her wristwatch.

"So, let's start. Rachel,  what's Biology?" Joy asked as I looked at her in displeasure.

"I'm not that dull" I replied.

"I know" Joy said not minding that I was getting angry.

"Just answer my question" Joy added as I opened my mouth. That moment, my anger disappeared immediately.

What is Biology?

I turned to Joy with wide eyes as she stared back at me calmly. It was then realization dawned on me, I didn't know what Biology was.

Joy chuckled after a while "Girl, how did you promote to SSS2?" Joy asked surprised.

I ignored her ad I tried to remember what Biology was all about.

"Biology is all about plants and animals" I said as Joy nodded.

"I see a major problem here. You don't even know the basics; so let's start with that" Joy said as she moved closer to me and started teaching me.

For the first time in my time, I was concentrating and I understood what I was being taught. Joy didn't shout or yell at me whenever I asked her questions or told her to re explain a particular place for me.

"You sleep during class. Its annoying. Since you don't understand anything. I want you to read further and we'll continue after school" Joy said as the bell was rang.