THIRTEEN

"Are you better?" Joy asked as she closed the textbook.

I nodded as I sat on the grass "Yes. I am" I replied with a yawn.

I felt empty and it was a weird feeling. I sighed as I ran my hands through my hair. I had free periods till school ended so I started loosing my hair.

Joy brought out her pen and shuffled closer to me.
"Let me help" she said as I felt a surge of warmth course through me.

"You are a dirty girl" Joy bellowed as I laughed.

"How long have you been carrying this hair?" Joy asked scrunching up her nose as I laughed heartily again.

"A while" I replied.

"I see" Joy said as we started talking about random things.

Unlike when I was with the girls, I understood what Joy and I talked about. It made it more easier to talk and the earlier tensed atmosphere was gone.

"Seems like you took my advice" I heard a voice say as I raised my head to see Ini and his friends walking towards us.

SK was grinning widely as he sat down beside Joy.

"Yeah. I did" I replied but I didn't see the flash of surprise that passed through his eyes.

"So Rachel, are you okay?" SK asked.

"I am. Just coming to accept the terms and agreement" I replied and everyone burst into laughter.

"Joy is the first lady to enjoy the privilege of me helping her to loose her hair but I'll allow you to enjoy the privilege too" SK said as he joined Joy in loosing my hair.

I was stunned as I tried to peek at SK's expression as he loosed my hair. He didn't look the least disgusted as he loosed my hair. He was happily teasing Joy.

"I'm jobless so I'll help" Ife said softly as he removed his pen from his bag and squatted to the floor. I looked at him shocked and surprised.

"Don't look at me like that. I feel like some spoilt princess who is trying to eat commoners food" Ife said as everyone burst into laughter.

I smiled widely without saying anything. My attention was on Ini who was leaning on one of the trees and looking at us. He wore his usual calm expression yet I was drawn to him.

I suddenly wished he could also help me loose my hair. I felt weird as I stared at Ini, I wanted to feel his hands running through my hair. His eyes met my eyes for a nanosecond and I quickly lowered my eyes.

"Aren't you also jobless? If you join us, we'll loose the hair fast" Joy said to Ini as my eyes widened.

Ini didn't say a word as he walked towards us and removed his hands from his pockets. He collected the pen I was using to loose my hair and also joined them in loosing my hair.

I was stunned for a moment and didn't react for a while. SK jumped up and started clapping.

"Whoa, Rachel. Your name should enter Guiness Book of Record. You are the first girl Ini would loose hair for. Joy never enjoy the privilege sef" SK said as I turned to Ini stunned.

I was the first girl he was loosing hair for?

I instantly felt on top of the world as I wore a wide smile. His fingers grazed my scalp and I felt tingles all over. I folded my lips and listened to them talk.

I realised that to the outside world; Ife was as cold as Ini but damn! Among his friends, he was a normal person. SK was extra talkative.

He talked about everything and within an hour, they had finished loosing my braids.

"There's comb in my bag" Joy said as she helped me comb my hair.

"Your hair is long o" SK said as I smiled widely.

Joy had helped me to pack my hair up. My shoulders were dirty from the dirt that had fallen from my hair.

"Please wash your hair when you get home" Ife said and everyone burst into laughter.

I smiled slightly as I turned to them "Thank you very much" I said.

"Between friends, Thanks is not needed" SK said with a smile as I felt surges of warmth coursed through me.

To me; they would never take me as a friend and unknown to me; they already had. I bit my lip in regret as I walked back to the classroom.

School finished earlier on Fridays so school had already ended.

"Where are you guys going?" I asked when I saw Kunmi and the rest outside carrying bags. It was then I noticed their bags looked bigger than usual.

"My photoshoot" Kunmi replied.

"What about me?" I found myself asking.

"You didn't tell me" I added as Gani scoffed.

"Your poor fashion sense would ruin the whole shoot" Gani replied with a sneer.

"Besides, you cannot snap picture with me with that your hair" Kunmi said as I raised an eyebrow.

"Ohh" I muttered.

"Don't forget to order for the sneakers o" Kunmi said as they walked away.

I walked into the class, Kunmi's and Gani's words echoing in my head. I burst into laughter immediately startling the rest of the students. Maybe because I had cried or anything; I didn't feel anything after listening to them.

I was the world most stupid human existing. I confirmed that.
She wouldn't let me join her photoshoot but wants me to buy me a pair of sneakers worth 10,000 naira.

"This is a joke" I muttered as I walked towards the gate.

Joy and others were waiting for their drivers too.

"What hairstyle will you make?" Joy asked as I turned to her and winked.

"You'll see" I replied as SK laughed.

"Why do I feel like there's going to be a huge surprise for me on Monday?" SK asked as I nodded.

"Its nice you felt it because you are gonna get a surprise on Monday" I said with a grin.

With these people, I felt safe. Extra safe that it scared me that they might be demons with angel eyes.

"Don't tell me you are cutting your hair" SK said as I glared at him.

"Cut? I think you have a wide imagination" I replied chuckling loudly.

Ife laughed as he waved "I'm curious about your surprise Rachel" He said ad he got into his car and the driver drove off.

"What surprise? You want to tint your hair?" Joy asked curiosity written all over her face and I grinned.

"No. You'll see. Keep your curiosity in check" I said with a smile.

Joy grinned at me "I'm suddenly anxious" She said as I saw my driver drive over.

"Don't me anxious" I said walking away.

"The surprise better be worth the wait" Ini said as I turned to him in surprise.

He was curious too?

My heart was slamming crazily into my chest as I watched him get into his car after waving at Joy.

I smiled as I opened the door of the car and got in. The driver reversed and drove out of the streets. I wounded down the glass as the driver turned off the AC.

I was never a fan of scenery but then; the cool wind that was blowing against my chest now was surprisingly comforting and relaxing. I took a sharp breath.