FOURTEEN

I woke up with an unusual calm mind the next morning. It was Saturday. It was as ig i just woke up from a dream. The day before, I had thought hard and long. I was furious at myself for being so stupid.

But that was then, like Joy; I was going to be my own person. I had one week left to find out who I really was but I knew one week was more than enough.

I picked my phone and scoffed seeing Kunmi's message about the sneakers.

Did she really think I was still dumb and stupid?

I unlocked my phone and went to the music app. I clicked on shuffle and the first song that breezed through the room was LOVE YOURSELF by Justin Beiber.

I burst into laughter as I hurried into the bathroom. There was somewhere I needed to go back to. I quickly took my bath and dressed up.

I wore tight jeans trousers and a flannel shirt. I combed my hair and swiftly packed it. I grabbed the chair and stool in my room and placed it on top of each other.

I climbed on it and reached onto the top of my wardrobe. Seeing the two black bags; a melancholic smile wore its way to my face and I brought the two down.

The bags were dusty and I quickly cleaned it. I slowly zipped open the first one and a beautiful violin came into the view. Apparently only the bags were dusty; the items inside were fine.

I slowly opened the second black bag and a beautiful guitar came into view. I slowly carrassed the body tenderly. I took a deep breath as I closed the both bags. I grabbed my purse and the violin bag before heading downstairs.

"Good morning mom" I said dropping a kiss on my mom's cheeks.

My mom flashed me a smile and froze seeing what I was holding. She shot up from her chair knocking the chair fown in the process.

My dad came dashing over in anxiety.
"What are you......... " his words also caught up in his throat seeing me holding my violin bag.

He swallowed his saliva before flexing his fingers. I wore a small smile at their reactions. When I told them I wanted to stop playing because it wasn't for me, they tried to make me change my mind but I refused.

My mom tried to talk to me several times but I needed Gani's approval back then so I turned deaf ears to their pleas.

"Mom, Dad, I'll be singing and playing from now on" I said as my mom engulfed me in a tight hug.

My dad slowly nodded too as he rubbed my hair and I swatted his hand off.

"I'm going out. Don't scatter my hair" I said laughing.

"I'm so happy baby" my mom said using her wrappers to wipe her tears.

"Where are you going?" My dad asked.

"AMA" I replied stiffly and my dad nodded.

"They'll be glad to have you back. Instructor Sam would be.... Let's see his reaction first" my dad said laughing as I walked out of the room into the car.

The sun was already up and was shinning brightly. I watched as the driver got to the gates of AMA. Boldly written on the white gate was ALAN MUSIC ACADEMY.

I suddenly felt nervous. When I left here a year ago; I told myself I wasn't coming back. I was glad I came back. I flashed a smile at the gateman who wore a shocked expression upon seeing me.

I waved lightly at him as the driver packed and the got down. I looked around the academy checking for whatever might have changed but I didn't see any.

I sucked in a breath as I walked through the familiar walkways. Never did I imagine I would walk on these ceramic tiles again.

I easily found the class I was looking for. A middle aged man stood in front of the class, carefully instructing the students on the use of the violin. Listening to what he was teaching; they were probably part of the new batch.

I stepped into the class as everyone turned to me. The middle aged man finally noticed me and his body shook on sighting me.

"Instructor Sam, I'm resuming lessons from now on" I said sucking in my breath as he dashed towards me and pulled me into a hug.

"Are you real?" Instructor Sam asked and I found myself laughing.

"No sir. I'm real" I said trying to stiffle my tears.

Instructor Sam taught me everything I knew. He was a patient and great teacher. He loved his students greatly and was one of the reasons AMA prospered. I missed him.

I hated myself for disapointing him. He broke from the hug and gave me a wide grin.

"You still haven't lost your charm after one year old man" I said with a sneer as he burst into laughter.

He pulled me to the front of the class beaming with all smiles.

"Everyone, meet AMA best Violinist, pianist and guitarist" Instructor Sam said as the students looked at me in horror.

I clutched the violin bag in my hand tighter as I faced the students with a smile.

"Hello everyone, I'm Rachel. Welcome to AMA" I said with a smile.

The students burst into wide cheers and rushed over to me shouting and yelling. I smiled trying to hear what they were saying.

"We've barely spent a week in AMA but we've heard so much about you"

"Instructor Muyiwa practically talked about you during the orientation"

"We thought you retired"

"You are so pretty"

I laughed at everyone's comments and waved my hands for them to keep it low.

"Whatever you have heard; it doesn't matter. I'm back now" I said and the class erupted into cheers.

"Senior Rachel, can you play a simple piece for us?" Someone asked and I smiled.

"Okay" I replied as everyone cheered.

"Go back to your seats and listen. Listening to Rachel play after a long time is a big opportunity. Remember not just to watch, learn as well" Instructor Sam said as they rushed back to their seats.

I slowly brought out my violin and caressed it. I brought it near my neck and used my chin to hold it in place. I thought of a song to play.

I started playing a soft melody as silence descended on the class. Everyone watched with rapt attention as I closed my eyes and continued playing.

I started hearing sounds of footsteps rushing into the class. I had long expected it. I played excellently; that, I knew perfectly.

The song came to an end and I stopped playing and slowly opened my eyes. The class was thrice the number and a lot of people were standing outside.

They erupted into a standing ovation as I finished. I bowed slightly and smiled.

"Rachel! You are back!"

It didn't take long for the news of my return to spread through AMA. Seeing my old friends and the several instructors again; my heart felt at ease.

AMA was a pretty huge academy that was popular in Akure and in the country. Several people trained there. Even churches sent their organists for training there. I looked around listening to the chatter around me, a smile on my face.