twenty eight

Kim
The boys had gone to collect Kie and Sarah , I figured it would be the best and only time to try and sort the mess that Cole and I had gotten us into years ago. I took another quick look at myself in the mirror and swallowed thickly. I wore a tightly fitting black dress , my hair was up in a long ponytail , gold hoop earrings and black heels - braxton would never waste time with someone who want dressed to his liking.

"Why are you all dressed up ?" Cole asked coming downstairs , I looked at him blankly and his face fell. "No"

"Yes , we're gonna see him sometime" I said quietly.

"Not alone" He said shaking his head vigorously

"I'm not going yet , I'm gonna see JJ first" I lied , Cole sighed.

"Be careful and call me when your leaving JJ's" He demanded , I saluted.

"Yes sir" I said before leaving the house.

I found myself wandering the same path that I had sworn I'd never walk on again as I came up to the large house that stood alone. I realised I wasn't even sure what to say.

"Too late to turn back now" I mumbled as I slid between the thin gap in the gate and started walking on the long dirt path , noting how it hadn't changed a bit.

When I came to the door it was already open.

"Kim Karter" A voice said causing me to jump , I turned to see Adrian smoking a cigarette. "And to what do I owe this unexpected pleasure ?" He said

"Adrian" I said nodding. "I wasn't sure if the rumors were true or not" I smiled tightly

He laughed and itched his nose. "Well they're true" He said gesturing at himself. "You look much more grown up" He noted

I shifted uncomfortably. "Look at how things left off -" I began

"No no , no need to dwell on the past" He said waving me off. "I'm here for one thing" He said with a smile pulling at his lips. "Come inside ?" He asked.

I nodded and walked inside the large house. "You got more plants" I pointed out looking around at the large hall.

He chuckled. "The others died.. probably because nobody's stepped foot in here for the past three years" He said.

I ran a finger over the dusty frame of his parents. Adrian's parents were once the wealthiest people in all of the Outer Banks , they were involved in business with Ward Cameron and my parents until they tragically died in a fire. Adrian was the only survivor and therefore the sole heir to their empire , he didn't want it though , it was something he had only trusted me to tell but since he had seen the power money gave you , his views quickly changed and so did he. I had often wondered why he left , he had returned briefly last year to assist in the search for Big John but as quickly as he returned , he had left again

"Coffee ?" He asked as we made our way into the kitchen , I shook my head as I took a seat.

"Have you spoken to Liv ?" I asked cutting to the point , he sighed.

"Yes" He answered simply as he poured himself a coffee.

I ran my tongue over my teeth. "She misses you" He said , my jaw fell to the floor. "She said you've changed" He tutted walking over and taking a seat across from me. "Started hanging around with dirty pogues since I left"

"Don't call them that" I said clenching my jaw

He looked at me for a second , I couldn't tell what emotion he felt , anger ? Sadness ? Disappointment ? Whichever one it was , it wasn't a very good one. "So it's true ?" He asked.