one

I quickly grab my bags from my old beaten up car and take them to my room. I look around the motel room and try not to think about how long it's been since this place was cleaned, but it's all I can afford. All of the movies I watched made fleeing from your abusive fiancé look so much easier then it actually is. This shit is hard.

I didn't think he had the motivation to be searching for me, but I've almost ran into him twice during my trip from Oklahoma to Texas. I didn't want to end up in Texas, but I don't exactly have the funds to make it all the way to California like I planned. So, I figured I'd lay low in this small town for a month or two. Or, Until Robbie finds me.

I stop in the bathroom and stare at the shiner on my left eye. Robbie didn't take it well when I told him I was leaving. It ended with me covered in bruises, a busted lip, and a bloody nose. I'm still alive, so I guess you can consider me one of the lucky ones. Even though he did say that when he finds me he's gonna kill me. Who knows what'll happen to me.

I run my fingers through my brown hair as I step outside to smoke when I bump into who I assume is my neighbor. He's tall with brown curls. My eyes linger on the scars spread out across his face.

"Hey neighbor," I reach out my hand towards him, "I'm Dahlia."

He stares at it for a couple seconds, "You look like shit."

I let out a chuckle, "You don't look too hot yourself."

His eyebrows stay furrowed as he takes my hand, "Chip."

We stare at each other a couple seconds. I open my pack of smokes, "You want on-"

"No." He quickly cuts me off before going back into his room.

What a fucking weirdo.

Why am I attracted to him?

Nope, I'm never dating anyone ever again. I am completely celibate. My walls are up. No breaking through these emotional barriers.

Okay, but I can still have friends. Chip can be my friend. I want to know his story. Who hurt him? Someone had to. There was so much pain in his eyes. It almost made me pity him. I wonder how I looked to him.

I flick my cigarette over the patio and head back into my room. I need some sleep.

-

I jump awake when I hear banging on my door. Oh my god, he already found me. How did he get to me so fast? Is this how I die? I'm just another statistic. A girl murdered by her abusive ex-boyfriend. I can see the newspaper headline now.

I did manage to steal one of Robbie's handguns before I left. I don't have a lot of bullets, so I can't waste my shot. I stuff the gun behind my back and look out the blinds.

I let out a sigh of relief. It's just Chip. What if it's a trap? What if Robbie is using him to make me open the door? I barely crack open my door and peek at him.

"Can I help you?" I hear my voice shake due to my nervousness. Chip's face softens at the sight of my obvious distress. I watch as he crosses his arms across his chest.

"Is your toilet running? I can hear it in my room, and I can't sleep because of it." His voice is softer than it was when we first met. I open the door more and look around to make sure Robbie isn't anywhere.

"Um, yeah, sorry. I just didn't know how to fix it." I move out of the door frame and he steps right in. I close the door behind me and watch as he goes straight to the bathroom. I quickly hear the sound cease and he walks out with a proud smile.

"Don't worry about it. It's common with these shitty pipes, next time just knock and I'll fix it."

I nod my head and flash a tight smile. I open the door for him and I watch as he walks out, but he stops and I grow nervous.

"Are you hiding from someone?" He asks and my eyes widen.

"What? No, what makes you say that? Did you see anyone?" My heart is thumping in my chest at the thought of Robbie hanging around here just waiting for the perfect moment to get me.

I watch his face turn guilty when he sees my panic, "Oh, no. I was just wondering because you seem...paranoid." I watch as he shoves his hands in his pockets.

He's nice. You don't come across that often.

Robbie used to be nice too.

"I just don't trust people easily." I tell him and he smiles slightly.

"Yeah...neither do I. Anyways, goodnight Dahlia." He waves before he heads back over to his room.

"You too, chip." I close the door quickly and lock it. Day one with no sign of Robbie. You're almost there, Dahlia.